Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next Purchase - Sous Vide verses Meat Grinder

Looking into my next big purchase.  Originally i was going to go with a Sous Vide Machine of some sort.  But i got the Charcuterie book for christmas and would like to start making sausages, so a meat grinder would be nice.  For a meat grinder i was thinking of getting a Kitchen Aid Professional 600 Series Mixer with the meat grinder attachment. 

The mix and attatchment make more sense because i can use it to make other things (pizza dough).  Any thoughts about which is better?  Any recommendations on a good mixer/meat grinder?

Thanks.

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I've seen some bad reviews of the KA meat grinder attachement. I'm sure its good for small quantities and I know some use it here. I like my Kitchener #12. It's around $100 at Northern Tools. Cheaper than a KA.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I bought a KA grinder years ago and have only used it a few times.  It works fine for very small jobs.  It would be slow if you wanted to do a large quantity.  Also...I don't know what model mine is.  KA might have a larger capacity model these days. 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    If budget allows you can maybe squeeze in a sidekic for Sous Vide its around $160 and a great device to dabble in Sous Vide, thats assuming you already have a food saver for vacuum sealing.
    Lynnwood WA
  • sc0tty
    sc0tty Posts: 9
    Please, save your money and do not buy the Kitchen Aid grinder attachment.  The Kitchen Aid mixer is great if you want to bake bread or other items.  However, the grinder attachment is not on par with the quality of the mixer itself.

Look into LEM Products.  They have some quality grinders that have a lot of power.

Here's a link: http://www.lemproducts.com/category/electric-meat-grinders

The #8 would probably be more than adequate for the hobbyist.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Griffin said:
    I've seen some bad reviews of the KA meat grinder attachement. I'm sure its good for small quantities and I know some use it here. I like my Kitchener #12. It's around $100 at Northern Tools. Cheaper than a KA.
     So that Ktchener #12 works pretty good?  Any complants?  My wife might let me get that and the Sous Vide. I was planning on bugetting around $750 total for new kitchen toys.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Listen to us! All grown men and asking wifey for permission to buy something that will benefit her, your budget and provide great food. I'm not criticising and I am in the same boat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    MikeP624 said:
    Griffin said:
     So that Ktchener #12 works pretty good?  Any complants?  My wife might let me get that and the Sous Vide. I was planning on bugetting around $750 total for new kitchen toys.
    Here's a suggested plan - get the Polyscience Creative SV ($500), and the Kitchener #12 ($100) - you'll be a hero coming in $150 under budget!

http://www.abt.com/product/65711/PolyScience-CRC5AC1B.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=CRC5AC1B&adtype=pla

Whatever I spend on "food crap" (as my wife calls it) she gets to spend on a purse or shoes.  So she wants me to go over budget so she can spend more too! 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    MikeP624 said:

Whatever I spend on "food crap" (as my wife calls it) she gets to spend on a purse or shoes.  So she wants me to go over budget so she can spend more too! 

In Latin, that's called "quid pro purse".  :D
    MikeP624 said:

Got that t shirt. I nearly fell over the last one i had to buy her. The matching wallet was $450.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    MikeP624 said:

In Latin, that's called "quid pro purse".  :D

I couldn't resist......
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hahaha

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I am not sure what people are talking bad about the KA meat grinder attachment but its great. I have put almost 10 pounds of meat through mine in 5 minutes. I use mine alot and have never had an issue. I have the 600.
  • I love my KA Pro 600 with meat grinder. Had it for a while and works great. Like Lit, I can easily pump out the sausage with no problem. Plus it is a great mixer.
  • This will cause shock from some.  

I put my Sous Vide Supreme in the attic.  I had a horrible experience with a roast.  When I opened the bag, I almost threw up because it was so rancid.  I've tried a few more things like chicken and steak, and found that the meat is usually tasteless unless you sear it on the Egg.

However, I love my meat grinder.  I am working on the wife for a meat slicer next.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    MikeP624 said:
    Griffin said:
    Here's a suggested plan - get the Polyscience Creative SV ($500), and the Kitchener #12 ($100) - you'll be a hero coming in $150 under budget!

http://www.abt.com/product/65711/PolyScience-CRC5AC1B.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=CRC5AC1B&adtype=pla

And if you come in $150 under budget you could add another $150 and get yourself a tapper for the garage.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI