Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adding a new egg, size ?

I'm currently having a problem deciding between a small and medium egg to add to mine for travel purpose and dual temp cooking at home.  Went to the Egg store to look at sizes and was really more confused when I left than when I started.  I was pretty set on a small. But now I am kind of hung up on having enough space to cook things. It would never be huge meals, but bigger is always better right ;) My dealer has a 100$ difference between the two and I am spending christmas money so thats not much of an issue.  Can you dual level cook in the medium? Just rambling and interested in any input.

XLBGE 

Comments

• I got the medium for christmas and am very pleased with the size, yes you can dual level cook and ceramic grill works is about to start making the two tier swing rack for the medium.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873

If you want portability, get the Small. I can pick it up, fully loaded and ready to light, and carry it around. I think the grate is large enough and we use that one at least half the time for my family of 4. 

If you want a larger cooking area, I would get another large. I, personally, don't see much reason to buy a medium.

Just my opinion.

I tried to think of a way to include a lube reference in this post but couldn't think of anything. Sorry.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    The medium seems to be the red headed step child of the Egg family. Not saying it's not good (I have no clue) but most seem to overlook it. might want to check on eggcessories. I don't think it has as many.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    We had a house fire a few years ago and eventually moved into my late parents house. Took a large and a medium and the pair were really good. It's not all that heavy. Good grid size for camping or travelling 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Just sold my small and got a medium. Sold it because of the size restrictions. I used it when cooking at two temps for sides, appetizers, etc. now I have a large, med, and mini for portability and enjoying food at the lake. Cooked with my med for the first time last night and so far so good! I don't know how often you plan to move it but I'm 5'10 180 and brought it into the house alone no problem. That sucker is heavy though!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    MrCooking I hope to have your problem some day soon. Just went over to the C G Store site. Woo2 has most everything covered. Looking forward to your decision. LS & RL seem to be loving there's.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Mini
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    edited January 2013
    I have a medium.  It works well for all my smoking needs (pork butts, Canadian bacon, ribs, etc.) and single items (whole chicken, pork roast, salmon, steak, etc.).  But, it doesn't have enough space for doing (say) meat and vegetables or items requiring different temperature levels.  I suspect a large would be better in that capacity.  With respect to portability, I don't think you want a medium.  You definitely don't want to move the medium around.  Way too heavy.  A small is portable.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Considering you've already travelled with your large and you didn't hurt yourself in the process, lugging around a medium shouldn't be too bad for you. If you see yourself using the additional capacity more often than making it portable, I'd say go medium. I'm thinking more space and likely better airflow in a medium (I don't recall hearing folks saying they have troubles getting mediums up to high temps like many Small owners). Admittedly, I don't have a medium and my portable Eggs are a Small and Mini but I'm too old to routinely lug a medium around.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The only egg I don't have is the xl, and I would gladly swap my large/small combo for it. I use my medium way more than my large, and the small almost never gets used. Medium egg rocks. The temp capabilities are way better than the small. The small is just finicky.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    As dude said finicky. Finicky can be 100% fixed by adding a High Que.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:
    As dude said finicky. Finicky can be 100% fixed by adding a High Que.
    +1  Adding a High Que fixes finicky.  I love my small and its portability lets me bring the fun away from home.  I can't imagine lugging a medium around.   
    Flint, Michigan
  • Had something come up this Saturday. I'm off work next week so I'm go to the dealer early next week.

I have taken my large a few places. I can do it alone but it's no fun. I should have video'd myself putting it in my table. A medium is 114 lbs the small is 75 lbs. I want an egg I can toss in the car last minute and take anywhere. I called and the dealer said he didn't care if I come and want to pick em up move em around and play with em before I buy one.

Have y'all noticed dealers having big price differences?? An hour away I can buy a medium for 20$ less than price of small at my local dealer.

To move a large I just take the internals out. Tighten the nuts, grab the hinge and one hand in bottom vent an I can put it anywhere.

I also have built my table supports to hold a small. Gonna have to do some measuring to see if a medium will squeeze in.

Does anyone have a table setup with like a removable side?? Thinking of movig a support and making the side wall have a hinge with latch on one side that I can open, pick egg out and shut.

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @MrCookingNurseDoes anyone have a table setup with like a removable side?? Thinking of movig a support and making the side wall have a hinge with latch on one side that I can open, pick egg out and shut.
    My neighbor had a Kamado Joe in a table with a removable end, his plan was to remove it for cleaning and painting of the table. Required the removal of 4 screws and four carriage bolts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I keep my small in the nest equipped with composite wings. Set up next to the large (in a table), it provides a nice added table space while cooking. Transporting in the mini-van while in the nest is cinchy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I keep my small in the nest equipped with composite wings. Set up next to the large (in a table), it provides a nice added table space while cooking. Transporting in the mini-van while in the nest is cinchy.

Yea if I go with small I can get nest. Not really wanting to spend the med +nest

XLBGE 
  • @MrCookingNurseDoes anyone have a table setup with like a removable side?? Thinking of movig a support and making the side wall have a hinge with latch on one side that I can open, pick egg out and shut.

My neighbor had a Kamado Joe in a table with a removable end, his plan was to remove it for cleaning and painting of the table. Required the removal of 4 screws and four carriage bolts. 

This is what my hamster is doing today instead of working ;)

XLBGE 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Had something come up this Saturday. I'm off work next week so I'm go to the dealer early next week. I have taken my large a few places. I can do it alone but it's no fun. I should have video'd myself putting it in my table. A medium is 114 lbs the small is 75 lbs. I want an egg I can toss in the car last minute and take anywhere. I called and the dealer said he didn't care if I come and want to pick em up move em around and play with em before I buy one. Have y'all noticed dealers having big price differences?? An hour away I can buy a medium for 20$ less than price of small at my local dealer. To move a large I just take the internals out. Tighten the nuts, grab the hinge and one hand in bottom vent an I can put it anywhere. I also have built my table supports to hold a small. Gonna have to do some measuring to see if a medium will squeeze in. Does anyone have a table setup with like a removable side?? Thinking of movig a support and making the side wall have a hinge with latch on one side that I can open, pick egg out and shut.

Yes, I have noticed HUGE price swings in Central FL from Tampa to Orlando.  They are also inconsistent and different dealers have better deals at different times of the year.  I'd call every dealer you can find in the area you'd be willing to pick up and check.  Please report back with what difference you found.  I bought a large w nest and platesetter for $800 a few months back and had some dealers in the area charging as much as $1000 for the same.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • My Medium BGE does it all! Anything smaller and, well, as it has been said many times, SIZE MATTERS! You're playing with house money, so remember SIZE MATTERS! Enjoy!