Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another pizza thread... Pics too

Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So after almost a year of an egged pizza addiction I finally bought some Caputo "00" Rinforzato (pizza flour) and broke out the scale for ingredients for the first time. WOW! My little guy said "This is the best pizza ever".... He ate three slices (I couldn't believe it)

It wasn't the best ever but it made me feel good, and it was really tasty.

We added 1 tbs of honey and oil and gave it a two day cold ferment. (forno bravo recipe that's popular here)

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    That looks awesome
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Hey, as cooks, we'll never think our food is the best ever and always find room for improvement. However, your lil dudes opinion trumps that as he'll always remember pizza night with his pops when he made a bombdiggity pie.

The dough looks fabulous...great work!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    That's my kinda pie, where do the round ones come from ? :-*
  • Brownie
    Ellis said:
    That's my kinda pie, where do the round ones come from ? :-*
    Practice! The only finished pie I took a pic of is the only one that wasn't round... it stuck to the peel when it was approaching landing on my stone...

I'll see if I can find the pic of our first home made crust. It was horrifying trying to get it off the peel.
  • Ellis
    I thought that was a happy face, guess not. Delete delete. [-X
  • Nice looking pizza.  Your little  guy thought you hit a home run and that is all that counts.  We will always be our own harshest critics =D>
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Brownie
    Ellis said:
    Haha.. maybe this will help me explain
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited January 2013
    Great looking pizzas! Actually one of my grilled pizza cookbooks insists that the ones that are shaped more like an amoeba than a perfectly round pizza, always tastes better. This is a good thing because I don't think I could make a round crust to save my life.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Brownie said:
    Ellis said:
    Haha.. maybe this will help me explain

That looks like one of those midwestern swing-state maps I saw for 9 months last year on the news :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ellis
    Now that makes me feel better. Thanks Brownie. Next time a make a pie I'll post a pic, promise.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    That ZA looks great. The browning spots on the crust is beautiful.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Beautiful looking pie. Round is overrated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Nice pie sir!

Only round ones I get are when my wife or mother in law make the crust. Mine always look like monsters.

XLBGE 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Very nice, now I am getting out my 00 flour tonight! I always found that honey/oil/suagr in the dough made it burn at the high temp caputo recommends . . Any thoughts? Seems like you didnt have any issues and you added oil and honey, so what temp and how long? Nice ZA!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Brownie
    @NDG Used the recipe and added 1tbs of each and cooked between 575-675 range and rotated often... I pulled it when the crust was just right. First time for honey, but I didn't use super hot temps. They cooked in the 4-6 minute range.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Nice looking pizzas!
  • NDG
    Two good pizzas tonight BUT my still cant get a chewy crust, more of a crispy cracker type.  Making progress but I have yet to get that profile shot with air bubbles, wheres the chew? 

image image image   

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Sorry for duplicate pics, new phone!

Columbus, OH

• NDG
    Any pizza experts out there have tips for me?  I am going for a chewy crust with some air bubbles in the outer rim . . a pizza that you can fold up a large slice with some resistance (like bending a mattress through a doorway). My pizzas are tasty, but too stiff after cooling that they would "crack" if attempting to fold.  I figured I was just over cooking it or making it too thin, but when I kept a thicker crust rim, I found it dense and too doughy. I will post my recipe later, but any red flags you see?  I know its a loaded question . . .  
    Columbus, OH

• Brownie
    @NDG what type (brand) of flour are you using? I was using a tipo "00" that didn't give me much chew. I got the caputo tipo "00" rinforzato and the crust had lots of chew with the airy bubbles inside. I'm not even close to an expert but this particular flour may be the tool you need. Your pizzas look fantastic by the way. Nice job showing me up on my own thread... :D
  • If you want some chew to your pizza do not exceed 550 degrees.  I read a lot of posts about 600, 700 and 900 degree temps.  If you want to make cracker crusts that is fine.  If you want the chew dial back to 550 degrees and cook longer.  You also have to use the right dough recipe.  Try King Arthur Bread flour, Four Roses or Robin Hood flours.  These flours have the protein needed for dough that has some substance to it, especially the deep dish pies.  The above pies look great by the way.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!