Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon question

Options
Hello had a quick question. Having in laws out today so I went to store yesterday and got 2 lbs of skin on salmon. My plan is to coat with honey and season with old bay. Cook indirect at about 325* skin down until its done. Thoughts on this method? Should I do honey and seasoning and let it sit for a while before putting on egg?

Also I want to add a smoke element. I was thinking apple or cherry would go well with the honey. I am not a plank fan. Thoughts?

Let me know peeps. Thanks!
- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I never did honey, so I can't tell you how that would react.  A light rubbing of salt, pepper, what ever sounds good and is handy, and brown sugar has worked for me in the past.

I also like McCormack Montreal when I am in the mood for salty, but don't do it too heavy.

I would use either apple or cherry.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I would not honey the skin side, oil it lightly, will not stick and keep it skin side down. Apple is a good choice. I'm not a honey fan on salmon, prefer citrus, soy, ginger and dill, but that's just our preference. In my experience, marinating salmon does not flavor the meat much, could be the marinade I choose. I'd put my season on just before it hits the grill. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Boileregger
    Options
    Agree with everyone else that honey doesn't seem like a great idea. I've had great success with this recipe. http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-teriyaki-salmon-211857
    I cook it raised direct at about 400-450. I also take the leftover marinade and reduce it down and serve as a sauce on the side.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    If you can find alder wood it is fantastic with salmon.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Will let you all know how it turns out. Pics of course too. I will try to find alder. Home Depot? Lowes?
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Smokey Egg
    Options
    I agree, alder is wonderful on salmon.  Making me hungry for some salmon.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    i often go skin side down on an alder plank, rubbed with DP Raging River then baste with honey or maple syrup and it always turns out great...
  • tays44
    Options
    So run then baste? Figured the honey would help the seasoning take hold.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Alder fan here, too.  

Save the honey for my go-to smoked fish sauce:

1/2 cup mayo
    1 Tblspn honey
    1 chipotle pepper, very finely minced

Mix together and refrigerate until needed.  This is not "hot" at all, just very tasty.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    yep, I rub then baste...
    tays44 said:
    So run then baste? Figured the honey would help the seasoning take hold.

• tays44
    Options
    Botch said:

Alder fan here, too.  

Save the honey for my go-to smoked fish sauce:

1/2 cup mayo
    1 Tblspn honey
    1 chipotle pepper, very finely minced

Mix together and refrigerate until needed.  This is not "hot" at all, just very tasty.  

Is this a dipping sauce or do you apply before cook?
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    It's a dipping sauce, sorry I wasn't clear.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• tays44
    Options
    Well did the salmon (2lbs skin on bottom) at 310* for 30 minutes. Cooked up perfectly. A thin glaze of honey and then old bay on top just enough for taste. Rubbed it all on by hand to make sure was even. Turned out fantastic. Nice sweetness not over bearing. Blasted with a couple handfuls of alder chips as soon as I put it on. Good hint of mild smoke. Thanks for input everyone.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • tays44
    Options
    I will post pics but am posting from my phone not uploading properly
    - EAT BEEF -