Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IIHF Junior Hockey Tournament

Happy New Year to everyone. Our Canadian boys just beat the Russians 4-1 to move to the semi-finals. A rivalry dating back to 1972. What NHL? IMHO year in and out this tournament has been the best show of hockey on ice. Go Canada Go!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

Comments

• Agreed - too bad it is really in the middle of nowhere, notice all the empty seats for some of the games. I'll bet the IIHF wishes it was held in western Europe or North America all the time...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Getting up for 4:30am games has been a bit rough. Always a good New Year's Party when the tourney is in North America.

• Up early this morning to watch the Americans beat the Czechs 7-0. Semi-final tomorrow morning at 4:00am. Canada vs. USA another great hockey rivalry. Winner goes for the gold medal. Who's with me?

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

If I did not have to work, i would be.  It will definitely get recorded though!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Wish I could have made that 4:00am wake-up call this morning! Had to read about it online.  Great result eh?
    Mamaroneck
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Saturday 8:00 AM for the Gold game.

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Congrats to USA, beat Canada 5-1 this morning, US advances to Gold/Silver game, Canada to the Bronze game. 

Pity. most of Canada was awake early to watch this game, the team forgot to wake up - they looked to "sleep skating". The US had a great game and deserved the win, now go get the gold!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I have to watch it tonight.  Can't wait! 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited January 2013
    Congratulations to Team USA. Playing the two days while Canada did not was the obvious factor. More jump and puck management resulted in turnovers by Canada leading to goals. Can't blame the Canadian goalie as he was screened on the first two by his teammates. It was over by the end of the first period. The US came to play the while Canada watched. Only solace for the lads is to add to the record of consecutive years winning a medal at 14 with a bronze this year. Russia is second with 7. Good luck to USA! Bring the gold back to North America!

• Ya gotta love hockey! I live south, WAY south. Don't get enough hockey down here. Go USA! And thanks to Canada for sharing their National Game!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Very excited to be going for Gold! After we dropped that 2-1 to Russia I thought we'd be flat but not so USA playing great
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    My youngest son is watching it now. He recorded it. He kept his fingers in his ears all day so he didn't hear the score. I keep hearing swear words from downstairs and I think it's only 2-0

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    edited January 2013
    @LittleSteven he must have been a busy lad. Did you learn any new ones?

• Little Steven
    No but he is a little louder than me. It's pretty silent down there now.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• He's probably lulled to sleep as they were or shocked speechless as I was

• Little Steven
    He is still arguing that we just played bad. We don't get that the US and Russia have ten times the population we do. The number one kid's sport is soccer now and the minor hockey enrollment has been on the decline for years. Bound to happen eventually. We taught the world how to design a minor system and they got it. Hell we may shine in cricket someday or box lacrosse will become an olympic sport

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You should be appointed Canuck sports ambassador!
    It was native Canadians that invented the game. We just stole it so there is no real defense. We did invent basketball and the zipper and we are fiercely protective of that. Oh and rye whiskey

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Everything is stolen and refined.  Modern hockey is defined by the scrum of fighting on the ice.   I hate you for inventing whiskey.  Yep, you need to be an ambassador.
    Ha! I was expecting an argument about Dr. Paul Nesmith. We didn't invent whiskey and I misspelled it..I meant whisky. It was rye whisky that was ours.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I didn't have time for research....had to clean up the horror show that I left in the kitchen after slicing up the bacon.  Makin' the bacon ain't as easy as it's made out to be.  PS - I can't speell!
    So you Canuck's getting up at 4 AM to watch the Bronze game against Russia?
    Is it acceptable to start drinking at 4 AM?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • This one is. Regarding drinking at that hour it depends on your approach. Either don't go to bed and continue from the previous night or get up and restart. Nothing wrong with whisky in the coffee. To quote the great Janis Joplin, "It's all the same *%#ing day man."

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I'll be up for the third period getting ready for the Gold medal game, a little splash in the coffee sounds right!!!!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • To be honest, I usually wake up on the couch at that time Saturdays. So if I pass out with remote in hand I should be good to go. Will pace myself to last through the gold medal game. Should be a couple of excellent games.

• Canada's medal streak of 14 years ends with an overtime loss to Russia 6-5. Have to question the Canadian coach's decision to start his backup goalie giving up 3 goals on 5 shots while the tourney's #1 ranked puck stopper sat on the bench. Just enough time between games to fire up the egg and get breakfast going before the gold medal game starts at 8:00am EST. Good luck USA.

• Sorry to hear about your loss - now you know how your southern neighbors felt on Feb 28, 2010 ;-(

But thanks for inspiring me to fire up the egg for breakfast - never done that before. Hope the kids like pancakes ala egg while they chant USA USA USA for the next few hours!
    Mamaroneck
  • Thanks. Canada has never beat Russia twice in the same tournament so I had my suspicions going in. We had great chances to win in OT but they couldn't bang it in. The winning goal was Canadian style driving hard to the net. It's -2 Celsius / 28 Fahrenheit out here north of Toronto. Just enough cold to snap me out of it. Time to whisky up that coffee cup.

• yumdinger
    yumdinger Posts: 255
    Wow a lot of pressure by USA early.  Sweden Goaltender looks strong.  If we stay out of the box this should be a close one until the end.
  • That's how they beat Canada. Flying from the get go. This will be a good one.