Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce and Pizza dough....First timer.

Options
Going to do my first Pizza today. Any secrets you can share with me on temps., pizza sauce, and pizza dough? Also, length of time and at what degree? Thanks,,,,,,,,

Comments

• SamFerrise
    Options
    This is a hot topic and you will receive many variations on pizza recipes.  Everyone is different and you will have to experiment to find what you like.  You will find hundreds of recipes on the web and on this forum.  

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • ptmurphy
    Options
    I used this recipe here, but used an entire package of yeast from the store - turned out great.  Also, didn't have access to the particular brand of flour but used a high-quality bread flour from the grocery store.

Pizza Dough Recipe

Here is a link to the thread about the pizza as a whole (sauce, temps, etc.).

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome, pizza one of the best egg cooks. As Sam says - there is an infinite number of "recipes", that's what makes pizza so much fun. 
    For a first try:
    I suggest you use a store bought crust, unless you have experience at working dough, then make your own. 
    Do not load the pie with toppings, less is more. Get the balance of temp, crust doneness and topping browning. 
    Preheat the stone and target temp for 500 for first time. Raise it as you learn your egg. 
    Indirect set-up with stone on grid or raise a bit into the dome if you can. 
    Parchment paper makes getting the pie on the stone easy, rotate 180 after 4-5 minutes and pull the paper.
    If you do not have a peel, use a cookie sheet, turned upside down. 
    Good Luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigEggOnTheBend
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. I hope to attach a picture of this creation for your inspection. Have an EGGciting day all.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    For sauce I sauté in a little olive oil a whole bulb of garlic chopped small add 2 large cans of good quality San marzano whole tomatoes, I put them in a blender first then 2 small cans of tomatoe paste. Simmer for a hour or two. When simmering good I add tps of black pepper and a handful of chopped fresh basil. Store bought pesto is also good
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I took zips advice and used Cento Crushed Tomatos last time I made pies. I just added a lil oregano, basil and garlic and it was a great compliment to the pies. It was also incredibly easy which is what I liked best!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like the Centro tomatoes.  I thought they tasted just as good as a $4.50 can of San Marzanos.

Fresh tomatoes are good too.  Lots of moisture - best put on top of the cheese.
    Options
    I made this sauce last time, and added 1/2Tbs basil, 1/2tsp sugar + 1/2 tsp onion powder.  Let it sit overnight for the flavors to meld together.  Great tasting sauce.  I used fresh dough from a local pizzeria, and tried to mimic how they prepare a pizza.  (You can watch them make it).  Grate your own mozz, and use fresh ingredients over canned.  Deli sliced pepperoni also. 

My setup is 500-500 degrees with plate setter, legs down, with a metal pie pan on that, then the BGE feet on that, then a 14" pizza stone on that.  Gives you just enough room to close the lid.  I use parchment paper under the dough until about halfway through, then pull it off to finish.  For me, this setup allows the toppings to cook without burning the crust.

A great Mediterranean style pizza we do is olive oil, 4 cloves of crushed garlic, feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, dried oregano, basil, and cracked black pepper.

This is the third time trying pizza, and I felt I got it right this time.  Takes some practice for sure.  Good luck.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009