Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribs

Hey guys just wondering how you guys cook your ribs? Do you do raised grid or grate on the platesetter and if you do a raised gridd do you keep the dome temp the same or raise it as well thanks in advace for the imput

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited January 2013
    This is how I cook mine -- indirect at 250.

Baby Back Ribs
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like to cook them slow and do mine indirect like Kristi.
    edited January 2013
    If you're in a hurry you can do baby backs indirect @ 350 in about two hours.
    Edina, MN

• I cook my ribs indirect at 225 with a pan of apple cider vinegar underneath for 4 hours uncovered with a little apple wood chips on the fire. During the 5th hour I wrapped them in tin foil. I sprinkle Tony's on the ribs only initially and spray with apple cider vinegar throughout the cook, like every hour or so. They are the best ribs ever, I haven't had a negative review yet. You can finish with BBQ at the end but I have found that its not needed. Enjoy.
    Geaux Tigers

• jbq
    jbq Posts: 25
    Thanks again for all the input from you guys im tryin to figure out what went wrong this was my third time doin ribs. The first time i just did the platesetter legs up,cast iron grate on it with a drippan with apple juice. The second time same way.this last attempt i got a pswoo3 and used it and the ribs were terrible. Extremely tough i ended up just throwing them in the garbage all three cooks were between 4 to 5 hours so im tryin to figure out what went wrong
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

jbq said:
    Thanks again for all the input from you guys im tryin to figure out what went wrong this was my third time doin ribs. The first time i just did the platesetter legs up,cast iron grate on it with a drippan with apple juice. The second time same way.this last attempt i got a pswoo3 and used it and the ribs were terrible. Extremely tough i ended up just throwing them in the garbage all three cooks were between 4 to 5 hours so im tryin to figure out what went wrong
    If they were tough, they weren't done cooking.   Remember, if you're cooking at 225 dome, that might be around 200F at the meat.  Look up the bend test or the toothpick test.  There's also foil methods if you're in a hurry.  And "turbo" ribs - (cranking up the heat).  Bunch of ways to do 'em.  Don't get discouraged.
    Thanks again nolaegghead i will keep tryin it just puzzled me cause the first two cooks of ribs turned out really good and the third was terrible
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    use Car Wash Mike's recipe.
    LBGE and Mini
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Mickey said:
    Did baby backs for lunch a while back. (Sorry but I can't remember who I got this from.) 350 indirect 1hr 40 min. Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. I opened 15 min early and sauced my half rack. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works

Ditto the only real difference is the wasted 3 hours.
    George