Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoking in the BGE?

Options

Hi,

Is it possible for a beginner Egger to cold smoke in the BGE without external smoke feeds?

I have a friend who has a Bradley, and while it's not much chop for pork etc etc it does a wonderful job of smoking cheeses and fish (albeit expensive - the Bradley briquettes cost about 80c US here EACH)

If so, how do you get that 30C chamber temp and hold it there without the charcoal going out?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    there are many cheap workarounds. When the temps are cold outside, you can use the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER. Works great. Also check out Nakedwhiz.com for a few other setups (pant can/dryer hose or 2nd egg/dryer hose). There are dozens of ways to do it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    I agree with cen-tex, I have only had the egg 8 months and cold smoking in the egg is super easy using the a-maze-n-smoker. I have done bacon, butter, cheese and almonds so gar. Super easy!
  • BBQ Hippie
    Options
    I use a tin can to hold the chips and a old soldering iron for a heat source to cold smoke. Clean out the egg, poke a hole in the bottom of a 15 oz tin can to fit the soldering iron. Load up the can with dry wood chips and run the power cord out the bottom of the egg and voila a cold smoker. I have smoked cheese and bacon this way and it works well and it cheap. In the summer time in Texas and its a 100 in the shade.I will put a pan of ice below the upper grid to get the temp down below 90
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I agree with cen-tex, I have only had the egg 8 months and cold smoking in the egg is super easy using the a-maze-n-smoker. I have done bacon, butter, cheese and almonds so gar. Super easy!

wait till summer :)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

What are the "temps" you want as max for a cold smoke? (Cheese or bacon as example). If it is a 80 degree day, can you still cold smoke? If you've got bacon out smoking would it go bad after a while? I notice mention of ice below the cheese/bacon.. when is this needed? Thanks!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• ptmurphy
    ptmurphy Posts: 42
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I am new to the BGE and just did a cheese cold smoke today with a method I read somewhere - no idea at this point, as I have read SOOOO much.

It's basically BBQ Hippie's method above but instead of using a soldering iron, I just light one charcoal briquette and throw it in the can on top of the wood chips.  Producing an amazing amount of smoke for about an hour with one small soup can. The temp never got over 45 - it's 35 outside today.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    If it is 80 degrees out side you would have a hard time cold smoking. Most cold smoking is considered 70 degrees and below. Some people try putting ice trays in with the food to cool the cooker down.