Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Used BGE XL first time yesterday ... Got a charcoal question

I did some pork tenderloins and then some stuffed hamburgers......went great but I do have one question...I was able to get really good temps but the amount of hot coals and fire was a little less than I wanted...I followed the videos available and after using the fire starters I let it go for about 10 minutes before closing...should I have left it open a little longer perhaps?? Thanks in advance

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    However the lump is kindled in just a few places, either w. starter cubes, or a torch, etc., there will be hot spots for quite some time. It will take some time, dome open or not, to get all of the surface lump burning. Try using a simple chimney starter and spread the lit coals over the surface for a quicker wide fire.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I close mine right away. Starts quicker closed because of the draw.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• When I cook burgers, I get the coals going for a few minutes then stir them up to get a larger surface burning.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

The number of places I light for my XL is related to the cooking grate surface area I intend to use for that cook.  The more grate area l plan to use the more spots I light (usually 4 inches apart).

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• I usually stir my coals to help light other areas.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2013
    When you run out of starter cubes, try an electric starter.  They're cheap ($8.00), able to start a good amount of lump (8 minutes) and they last for years.  After 8 minutes, I gently stir the lump no matter what kind of cook I'm doing.  Never any issues with your fire burning out overnight and can also give you a good bed of coals for direct cooking.  Close the lid right away, you should be up to 500 in under 10 minutes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390

I usually stir my coals to help light other areas.

Same here.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    When using using an electric starter, what is the process for a low and slow? When do you close lid etc?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Don't leave your electric starter out in the rain it rusts... A weed burner is much more fun and scares the cr.. Out of my Neigbor, I see him peeking out his kitchen window with egg envy :-)
    Lynnwood WA
  • @shtgunal3-Put the starter in the middle about 1-2" down. I close the lid after the 8 minutes of startup. Open the top and bottom to what you think is the right spot and let it burn until it's clean smoke.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I like my Wagner heat gun. I can also place it in the bottom vent to speed up higher temps.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    Heat guns work great.  I've settled on using a torch because it's cordless, but there's less sparks with a heat gun.

https://us.v-cdn.net/5017260/uploads/FileUpload/62/b00571f1d50a9ef4a1992af200e6a5.jpg

If you have power near your egg, an electric starter is great. If a low and slow, the starter is put to the front and a few chunks of lump piled on the element. If for grilling, I bury the element in the center. After 8 minutes, remove starter by giving it a twist to stir around the "lit" lump, close the dome both vents wide open. The egg is a chimney starter, albeit an expensive one, but it is a chimney. Let it do its thing...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I like my weed burner because it satisfies my inner pyro.  In the summer, I burn weeds in the driveway & fence line while waiting for the Egg to stabilize.
    Flint, Michigan