Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid

What do you mean by the term "Cook Direct with raised grid"

Comments

• Cook without plate setter with the grill grate raised higher in the dome. It can be accomplish a number of.different ways.
    Edina, MN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Before you decide to spend big $$ on the great after-market raised grid tools for the BGE, invest in a weber grate the same size as your BGE cooking grate and then with one grate in the normal/lower position on the fire ring-down three canned beers of your choice (all the same sized cans).  Take the empty cans and set them on the lower grate then place the other grate on the cans-you are now set-up for raised grid, direct cooking.  Obviously there are other ways to get there-fire bricks etc. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Bob923
    Bob923 Posts: 23
    Thanks, l like the idea of having to down three beers!!!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    4 beers for more stability. The grate, not you!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Since a picture is worth a thousand or so words...

I just use three firebricks from the local hardware store (Menards in this case), set them along the edges of the fire ring, then the grate on top of that.

Two purposes for me...

1. Gets the grid a little further away from the coals if you want to cook direct heat without so much searing effect.

2. It's easier to put a pizza on and off if it's not recessed into the Egg.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I used fire brick (still do if I need the larger grid space). On Boxing Day, picked up this Grill Dome grid for <$15, 60% off at a local BBQ store. On my medium I cook for two, so has lots of space for a raised direct cook, with three legs is sits on the fire ring, and for pizza will straddle the setter. 
    I had an old 15" pizza stone, too big for my MBGE, so I cut it in half, added some notches and now have 1/2 of an indirect raised grid. The CI grate is used for reverse sear and all I remove is the Grill Dome extender grid. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bob923
    Bob923 Posts: 23

Thanks for all the help guys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2013
    Ok, you are ready to spend a few bucks. This is what you want. The Adjustable Rig. This pic also has the Extender to raise it more on it. Call Tom here for the best: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Got to admit the adj rig is great if you have the bucks.  I went all the way and got the three tier with my XL love the massive amount of meat that can be cooked.
  • mimauler said:
    Got to admit the adj rig is great if you have the bucks. 
    Mickey's got the bucks !  He lights his Egg using $100 bills.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    mimauler said:
    Got to admit the adj rig is great if you have the bucks.  I went all the way and got the three tier with my XL love the massive amount of meat that can be cooked.

Something to be said about cooking in the dome as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    dang mickey, aren't you afraid that bird may fly away from that purch......lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Besides the easy handling of food, what else is accomplished by raising the cook grid?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Alton said:
    Besides the easy handling of food, what else is accomplished by raising the cook grid?
    The way it cooks, it is further from the direct infrared of burning lump and closer to the "surrounding" heat of the dome. In short a more even cook "all around". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!