Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Steaks

Options
Did my first steaks on the LBGE tonight for New Year's Eve.  

Wife had picked up a nice set of ribeyes from Trader Joe's.  She bought me a package of dizzy rubs for Christmas so I thought I'd try the Cowlick Steak Rub out.

I went out to get the egg fired up, only to discover that I was almost out of lump.  Yikes - I won't let that happen again.  I had a bunch of coals left in the bottom from my last cook, but after emptying the bag it was maybe half full, and mostly with small pieces.  I was concerned at this point.  I put the grid on for cooking direct and let the fire build.  

The egg seemed to take awhile to get up to the temp I was shooting for - basically anything over 500.  After leaving it completely open for awhile and trying a few other things to get it going, it was stalling around 300.  I'd been waiting awhile and wasn't sure I'd ever get it up to temp.  So I just threw them on there and figured I'd cook until they looked done or something.  

Then luckily the temp started to rise to where I was able to sear both sides after a few minutes on the grid, such that the last couple of minutes were at 600+.  I cooked them maybe 10 minutes total.  

Taste was phenomenal.  I don't know if it was the rub or the cook, but these made for a fantastic NYE meal.  We had them with some salad and a grilled potato dish my wife made.  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Your steaks look great. What lump did you use? Also did you use any chips or anything? 

I also cooked steaks tonight for the first time, and my flavor was very bland. Not at all what I was expecting. 

Any details you can give me will be appreciated.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Your steaks look great. What lump did you use? Also did you use any chips or anything? 

I also cooked steaks tonight for the first time, and my flavor was very bland. Not at all what I was expecting. 

Yeah I saw your post and was surprised, because frankly everything I've cooked on the BGE so far has been fantastic. And I'm no pro. I used the BGE lump. I threw in a couple of hickory chunks but I'd be surprised if they added much in the way of flavor. My guess is that the biggest factor in the taste was the dizzy rub.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Thanks for the reply John! 

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

JK the first rule of taking a great steak off the BGE is putting a great steak on the BGE.  It could be that it was your steak, because if it is a well marbled choice or prime steak all it takes is a little salt and pepper and a good sear to have a great flavor.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I agree Dugan. It is the same cut from the same place I normally get and don't have the problem on my charcoal grill. 

I think I am just so used to the charcoal flavor that a steak cooked without it tastes flat to me. 

I will keep trying until I get it right. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options