Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about your Sous Vide cooking and machines....

Options
2»

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Thanks Nola, that helps.  I think I'm just use to dealing with Amazon.  One click and I'm done and it's always right on. 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    I have the Sous Vide Supreme chef and like it a lot.  If I was going to do it all over again, I would get the Polyscience unit that Nola has just because it would allow me to do bigger pieces of food.  I'm doing a brisket right now and I had to cut a 15 pound packer into 3 pieces so it would fit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling mine on ebay to get the other one.  The supreme is fantastic on fish and chicken and I'm learning alot on the beef/pork side of sous vide.  A lot of trial and error for me, especially on the aromatics side.  One area that is a little more difficult to deal with is the single temperature cook.  If you have people over for steaks and everyone likes it done differently, you have to make up the doneness at the final sear - hard to do with a torch, a little easier on the grill but you are defeating the original purpose of "exact" doneness due to sous vide.  Bottom line: a great tool that brings my cooking capabilities to a new level but nothing so dramatic as going from a gasser ot a BGE.
    Why are you sous vid-ing a brisket?  Is there something that cmes out different then if you smoke it?  Seems like an awful lot of work for brisket, but maybe worth it - just don't get it.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

This is my first one.  I've been told that if I SV it for 48 to 72 hours, it will be extremely tender and juicy.  I can pull it out, dizzy dust it up, and smoke at 200 to get the bark and smoke flavor.  I know someone at work that has done it and says it is the juiciest she has ever had and all pieces are done exactly alike.  If this works, it cuts down on the uncertainty of timing and (FTC) shouldn't be neccessary.  I've had briskets of this size go anywhere from 10 to 20 hours.  So this is an experiment for me, to answer the following questions: Is it easier to get the whole packer "just right", Can I make the whole process time predictable, Is the smoke/bark post SV on the eff as good as done non-SV?  I'll post my results when I finish but I anticipate that, as with most of my sous vide experiments, I'll figure out pieces of the process that will need to be done differently and another experiment or two will be necessary to get it just right.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Thats interesting. Good luck with it and excited to hear the results.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I did it.  Bit the bullet and cringed a little.  The kit will ship on Feb 13th.  Happy V Day to me. 
    Great choice, now that we have the same set up , keep posting your results and I will to.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • rustypotts
    Options
    Well....i just ordered from Polyscience to take advantage of the discount.  I never saw where to put the code.  when I placed my order it didnt pop up either.  They are closed today so I could not contact them.  I still haven't gotten Email confirmation either.  Oh well.......
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    Options

Well....i just ordered from Polyscience to take advantage of the discount.  I never saw where to put the code.  when I placed my order it didnt pop up either.  They are closed today so I could not contact them.  I still haven't gotten Email confirmation either.  Oh well.......

I would shoot them a email and let them know you we're unable to locate the field. Attach the coupon image in your response or at least the promotion code.

culinary@polyscience.com

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I did it.  Bit the bullet and cringed a little.  The kit will ship on Feb 13th.  Happy V Day to me. 
    you'll love it granny. It's a great tool and that book is awesome. Go ahead and get you a good torch if you don't have one.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Go ahead and get you a good torch........you are funny! Friends don't let the elderly play with fire. I'm hoping the CI will do the trick. Happy New Year! <:-P
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Go ahead and get you a good torch........you are funny! Friends don't let the elderly play with fire. I'm hoping the CI will do the trick. Happy New Year! <:-P </div>

broiler and of course your egg are great tools as well
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    Rusty, did you get the discount? I finally got mine after 3 emails and it will be applied to the invoice at time of shipping.