Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ever smoke

Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to the forum and to the smoking world all together.  Today, I tried smoking for the very first time!   My girlfriend gave me a LBGE for Christmas this year and I have been itching to try it out.  Last night, I threw on a 7.5lb Boston butt over hickory chunks and pecan chips with a dome temp of 235-255.  At about 10am, I ran out of lump in the Egg.  I thought I had added enough, but I guess I was wrong (lesson learned).  After making some minor adjustments, I was back in business and smoking again!  I believe one of the problems was that I let the initial dome temp get too high when getting started (it got to almost 400 degrees).  The butt stalled at around 172 for about two hours, but I kept calm and smoked on making no adjustments until it reached an IT of 200.  The bone pulled out of the meat with ease and was extremely moist.  I am very pleased with the outcome and am excited to be a member this forum and to learn my way in the smoking world!  Below, you will see the final product! 
Hunter - LBGE
Oxford, MS

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    First off, congrats on a successful cook. The end result is what counts and looks like you nailed it. A couple of things. Try to catch the temp on the way up when it's about 50 degrees of where you want to end up and start adjusting the vents to not over shoot. It's easier to raise the temp than to lower it. For an overnight low and slow, fill the fire box completely up to the fire ring or slightly above the juncture. I've gone 24 hours plus at 250 and had plenty of lump left over. Great job being patient during the stall, and you got it to the right finish temp. When the bone pulls clean you know you are done. Overall, looks like you adjusted well for the issues and ended up with a great meal. Well done.

B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • TJ, thank you for the tips!  There will be a few things I do differently next time when smoking.

I appreciate it, Badger!  The rub is a rub I got from naked whiz.  It was really good, I'll definitely be using it all of the time. Sweet and spicy all in one.  The rub called for:
    2tbs kosher salt
    2tbs sugar (hawaii raw)
    2tbs brown sugar
    2tbs ground cumin
    2tbs chili powder
    2tbs cracked black pepper
    1tbs cayenne pepper
    4tbs Hungarian paprika
    2tbs ground sage
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • Wow - yeah..  I wish my first cook looked that good!  Welcome!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Looks super good!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Congrats!! What are you going to try next?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Great looking cook. Thanks for sharing the rub recipe. Welcome to the club!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Welcome aboard and congratulations on a successful maiden voyage !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Hey everyone, I am a newcomer to the forum and to the smoking world all together.  Today, I tried smoking for the very first time!   My girlfriend gave me a LBGE for Christmas this year and I have been itching to try it out.  Last night, I threw on a 7.5lb Boston butt over hickory chunks and pecan chips with a dome temp of 235-255.  At about 10am, I ran out of lump in the Egg.  I thought I had added enough, but I guess I was wrong (lesson learned).  After making some minor adjustments, I was back in business and smoking again!  I believe one of the problems was that I let the initial dome temp get too high when getting started (it got to almost 400 degrees).  The butt stalled at around 172 for about two hours, but I kept calm and smoked on making no adjustments until it reached an IT of 200.  The bone pulled out of the meat with ease and was extremely moist.  I am very pleased with the outcome and am excited to be a member this forum and to learn my way in the smoking world!  Below, you will see the final product! 
    Great looking cook. Hotty Toddy!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Welcome and congrats on the first smoke. Great looking cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Good looking cook, Congrats!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • I appreciate it everyone!

Alton said:
    Congrats!! What are you going to try next?
    I really have no clue what I am going to try next, any suggestions??  I would love to cook something for new years. 
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • billyray
    How about a Miss. State Bulldog. =))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • @billyray haha they have already been smoked once this year.. I'm sure I'll get a call from PETA if it happens again.  Love it 
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • Where are you from SouthernSmoke?  I like that Colonel Reb.  I'm in the Jackson area.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome and congrats on the cook-great gift!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • congratulations looks great
  • @banjoman I am in Oxford!  Its great to have fellow rebels on this forum.
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • billyray
    edited December 2012
    @banjoman I am in Oxford!  Its great to have fellow rebels on this forum.
    My youngest son graduated from Ole Miss in 2004 with Eli. We have many relatives that went to Ole Miss and some that went to State. My great uncle taught Economics there in the mid '60's. My wife's cousin used to own the Colonels Quarters, east of town on hwy 6, Randy & Jeane Abrams. My son lived in Wellsgate while he was in school, just down the street from Don Kessinger.
  • Reno
    Reno Posts: 12
    Hotty Toddy. You get that Egg at Snead's?
  • @billyray that is great!! I went to high school with Mr. and Mrs. Abrams' daughter and attended many college functions out at Colonel's Quarters!!  I actually live really close to Wellsgate right now!

@Reno Hotty Toddy!  My girlfriend got it for me and I believe she went to Snead's and talked to them about it, but purchased the BGE in her hometown so it was there when I came to her house for Christmas.  It was an amazing surprise for sure.  I did purchase a Polder and some wood chips from Sneads, though.
    Hunter - LBGE
    Oxford, MS
  • Great job on the first cook.  Your now hooked and ready to start trying different woods.  http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downloads_files/SmokingFlavorChart.pdf
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Hotty toddy, awesome first cook, i got my first try at a standing rib roast on now. its at 115 now, going to sear it now. Been a egghead since March, and i love it...