Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Egg?

should i ever clean the egg? any suggestions?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sometimes after cooking a pizza I'll do a clean burn and burn off some grease. I wipe the outside occasionally with Simple Green while the egg is warm.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • After a high temp cook it should be clean enough, if you only low and slow, you might want to do a burn out, otherwise I think it is self cleaning. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I try and do a high-temp burn on my Egg about once a month. Be careful not to get too high on the temp, you don't want to fry your gasket! Been there, done that, don't wanna do it again!
  • im due for a clean burn! Usually do it following a pizza night, which im due for also. I run right around 600 dome for pizzas, after an hour of that, it's usually fairly clean. For a full clean burn i fill it up with lump and let it run wide open till it's out. Lid's usually stuck shut, but with a well seasoned nomex gasket and putty knife it usually opens back up unharmed. If you slightly burp it along the way you'll find that it won't usually get stuck. BTW, when you're doing a clean burn, especially your first one, be prepared for grease to weep thru the outer ceramics of the egg, i was super worried, but if you wipe it down with a wet towel while it's hot it cleans up fine.