Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt troubles

SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
I've been looking forward to this one for a long time.  My wife picked up a 5 lb Boston butt roast.  Last night, I applied yellow mustard and Dizzy Dust, and wrapped it in plastic wrap.  This morning at 7:00, I went out and cleaned out everything.  I filled the firebox with Royal Oak and after the coals were lit I put the platesetter in, legs up.  Drip pan underneath, and stabilized at 275.  Just before I put the roast on, I threw a handful of hickory chips on the lump.  I used a rib rack, and didn't tie up the butt.

I didn't check it until noon, and dome temp was 300.  I used a probe thermometer and the roast was just below 160, which I've found to be my standard stall temp, regardless of meat.  I closed it back up, and looked at dome temp again at 1:00, 1:30 and 2:00.  At 1:00pm, dome temp was down to 275.  By 2:00, it was 250.  It's 4:45 right now, and the dome temp is below 200. I'm out of lump, and frustrated with everything.  I pulled the roast, FTC'd it and now I'm waiting.  

The temp of the roast when I put it in the cooler was 182.  I figured that was as hot as it was going to get with dome temp below 200.  The oven is occupied with Christmas cookies, so I'm pretty much screwed.

Here's my issue:  it's been lightly snowing/freezing rain off and on all day.  I don't have the egg covered.  I opened it twice in 8 hours to check the temperature of the butt. Both times, the egg was open for maybe 15 seconds. Would the rain affect the dome temp and/or cooking temp?  It's my first time trying to cook in any kind of precip.

I figured that a full firebox at 275 would last me a good 10-15 hours.  At 8 hours, my fire is out.  What did I do wrong? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've had the same problem with RO. Did you buy a small bag. I'd refill the egg and turbo the butt.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I did buy a small bag, and used up the rest this morning when I filled the box.  I like RO, but I've never used it for low and slows.  I've heard good things about Wicked Good for long cooks. 

If I could refill I would.   What does it mean to turbo the butt?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• henapple
    Wrap in hdaf and finish.
  • I have used RO for long cooks and it did the same thing to me. RO burns up fast. I have used Cowboy for 20 hours cooks and have had great results. I think what the "turbo" means is to cook at a much higher temp to finish it off.
    Brandon, MS
  • henapple
    No...same temp. The foil speed up the cook. Search turbo butt or ribs.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    at the temp your at you could slice it and eat it more like a roast instead of pulled pork.  your past the stall/collagen break down so it should be moist and tender just not fall apart tender.  just a suggestion.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I did a 9 lb butt a couple of weeks ago. Used wicked good and cooked for 17 hours at approx 275 dome. Turned out great!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2012
    it's not RO that's the problem. It's your airflow. stir all your lump and relight. You can still finish it off with perfect results. Just restart and cook to internal temp of 200-ish. You can wrap in foil if you are in a hurry
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • If there is no lump, wrap in foil and throw it in the oven at 350 till you get an IT of at least 200.
    You got all you flavor already, no shame in finishing in the house.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I have had the same problems keeping the temp up in the rain. I have found that if you wrap up a couple sheets of HDAF and kind of make a chimney over the egg it can help kep the temp up. You do have to open the bottom a little to get a bit more air flow.
  • Had the same problem Thursday night.  Put a 10.5 lb'er on at noon, fire went out somewhere around 4:00 am.  I woke up at 6:00 am and the meat was 178, egg 168.  Took it out, covered in foil and finished it in the oven at 300.  Turned out great, except the bark wasn't consistent, probably due to the finish in foil.  I too was surprised.  I did a 8.5 lb'er for 20 hours and then had enough fire left over to cook some chicken breasts.  Couldn't believe this one went out after 16 hours, but finishing the oven wasn't an issue.  
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    I started an eight pounder last night at ten, cooked it at 225 and it didn't finish until seven pm tonight. I think it may have been the RO. I filled my large with just about the whole 22 pound bag of wicked good and have plenty left for my next cook. Pulled the butt off at 200 IT
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Try Wicked Good. In my XL I can go 17 hours and still have lots of lump left. I could easily surpass 24 hrs.
  • Try cowboy i can go 40hrs on my XLBGE filling it up to the second fire ring.

• Just add more lump and go. I just did it today. Temp is now at 188. Going to 200. It won't be long now.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    I know BGE cost more than some but consider how far the lump goes per cook. I just cooked ribs, spatchcock and tenderloin on one load.