Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie starting Grill with plate setter

Options
I am a neophite to the egg. In fact, my new XL is being delivered tomorrow. I have a question about starting this puppy. How soon do I put the plate setter/ indirect pizza stone on after I light the charcoal? I have seen some videos where flames are quite high once it gets going. Do I put it on right after ignition then close the lid? Do I let a good roaring fire start first then put in on the flames? Do I get my coal burning, close the dome to get it to temp, the open it a put the indirect heat plate on? The latter seems the safest but I am worried about a cold stone cracking from the hot fire. Sorry this question is so rudimentary but I don't want to burn myself or break my pizza stone/woo combo from the CGS. Michael

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Light it, wait about 10 minutes, put plate setter in, set vents and let it come up to temp. There are different ways to do it but this will work. Good luck with your first cook.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TheEasyLife
    Options
    Wait with lid open or closed?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Lid closed. The egg is a chimney, once you get it going, I use an electric starter so my dome is up for the first eight minutes, I close the dome, DFMT off bottom vent open, I drop in the setter, grids and stones, close the lid and let it go. No flames. Watch it as it can heat very quickly. Once you get close to target adjust vents. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TheEasyLife
    Options
    Got it thanks.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options

Use the search function to find some threads on gloves.  There have been several discussions on what kind of gloves to move hot plate setters, food, and to protect from flare ups.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Welding gloves work
    Boom
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Hi54putty said:

Light it, wait about 10 minutes, put plate setter in, set vents and let it come up to temp. There are different ways to do it but this will work. Good luck with your first cook.

Agree 100%. An additional note. When you have a nice bed of glowing coals, the put it on. Close the lid once it is on. Leave the dome open when you first light the egg.

A good rule of thumb is not to put food on until smoke runs clear or smells good. If it smells bad, it will taste bad.
    Mark Annville, PA