Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Post your Christmas score!!

Options

Comments

• tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options
    tays44 said:

Who makes this?
    I found it for you on Amazon.

Ah thanks!  Thought that looked like Armatele.  Easy sell to the wife, she loves that stuff.  Thanks again.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Can't post pics but I got the Polyscience sous vide pro as well as the smoke pistol. Oh and some socks.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bariccardi
    Options
    Several John Henry's rubs, BGE salt and pepper shakers, and a pair of bear claws
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    My daughter gave me a 12 by 12 EZ-up so I don't have to Egg in the rain! I also got BGE egg corn holders and a set of BGE salt and Pepper shakers which look pretty cool, and an assortment of Dizzy Pig rubs.  SWMBO gave me the go ahead to buy whatever controller I want so I'm trying to decide between the Stoker or the CyberQ. We had good food and time with family so it was a great Christmas!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Can't post pics but I got the Polyscience sous vide pro as well as the smoke pistol. Oh and some socks.

that smoke pistol looks cool. That was my next move if the amazin smoker didn't work out. So far so good but I might get the pistol anyway.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    damn you peoplez!  Now I'm looking at tube amps and speakers.    @cazzy - been looking at the Klipsch RB-81 II speakers - is that what you have?
    edited December 2012
    Options

damn you peoplez!  Now I'm looking at tube amps and speakers.    @cazzy - been looking at the Klipsch RB-81 II speakers - is that what you have?

Mine are no longer available direct from Klipsch since it was so long ago. I have the R-35 series.

The RF7s are still available and I highly recommend them. They are II but still a similar platform none the less.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker

The RB-81's are niiiiiice for bookshelf but I just prefer floor standing speakers.

This is what is on my radar for my theater room...unless something else makes me jump ship.

http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

I'm definitely going processor/preamp just don't know what yet. McIntosh is a front runner though.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    cazzy said:  This is what is on my radar for my theater room...unless something else makes me jump ship. http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system I'm definitely going processor/preamp just don't know what yet. McIntosh is a front runner though.

=P~  Wow, that'd be a nice setup!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• cortguitarman
    Options
    @cazzy, nice score on the DSLR. I bought my wife a Canon T3i to finally replace the 35mm SLR.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    I scored a Stoker, a Forschner 12" Graton Slicer and a boning knive, Food Saver 3800, asst rubs and sauces and an AR.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2012
    Options
    cazzy said:
     This is what is on my radar for my theater room...unless something else makes me jump ship. http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system I'm definitely going processor/preamp just don't know what yet. McIntosh is a front runner though.
    stop posting stuff like this.  I finally have the audio bug out of me and you dangle ear candy in front of me.  :D
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @cazzy - love the efficiency of those - I'm going to be pushing about 35 watts of tube power.  I already have an AV system, and this needs to be as unobtrusive as possible because I'm keeping them in the same area and they'll have to coexist.

SWMBO has about 1000 albums and 1600 CDs.  She can't complain too much!  She's my kinda girl.  I just subscribe to MOG and Pandora (for the commercial free, higher bandwidth feed).  That's my music source, for the most part.
    edited December 2012
    Options
    @botch @Ragtop99
    Nice to know there are some peeps who recognize how sweet these are. Some might look at em and think they're expensive, but it's actually pretty good bang for your buck. They are true cinema quality and sound flipping amazing.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

@cazzy, nice score on the DSLR. I bought my wife a Canon T3i to finally replace the 35mm SLR.

Awesome!! I got the T4i but Im kinda regretting I didn't get a full frame. Loving every bit of it though so it's been a lot of fun.
  • cazzy
    Options

@cazzy - love the efficiency of those - I'm going to be pushing about 35 watts of tube power.  I already have an AV system, and this needs to be as unobtrusive as possible because I'm keeping them in the same area and they'll have to coexist.

SWMBO has about 1000 albums and 1600 CDs.  She can't complain too much!  She's my kinda girl.  I just subscribe to MOG and Pandora (for the commercial free, higher bandwidth feed).  That's my music source, for the most part.

Nice!! I feel you there as the WAF is a big deal which is why I was shocked she let me mount one of my rears over the fire place at our old house! "Honey, it has to go there so we build a proper rear sound stage."

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I've been eying the D5 for a while.  The T4i is a good camera.  I'd love a full frame because I shoot wide angle (the wider the better) 95% of the time.  Get some good fixed focal length lenses.  I have some friends that are pros.  Actually get like a 24mm 2.8.  I use that lens most of the time. I have some expensive lenses, but the 24mm is what stays on the camera.
    Options
    The 60d with a 18-200 is on sale at Costco for $1099. Very tempting. I don't use it enough to make it worth while to spend the money for a full frame.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    billyray said:
    The kids and grandkids got me a private training session with a Benihana Master Teppanyaki Chef and then I get to prepare a meal for 8 of us at the restaurant, complete with chef hat and apron. Looking forward to twirling a few knives and flipping a shrimp into my hat. :))
    I still think mines pretty cool. My son has been with the Seahawks, 49er's and now with the Raidrers, all I'll ever got'n was NFL hats, shirts, rain gear and anything he got for free, he actually thought about this and pulled the trigger!!
    :))
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    billyray said:
    billyray said:
    The kids and grandkids got me a private training session with a Benihana Master Teppanyaki Chef and then I get to prepare a meal for 8 of us at the restaurant, complete with chef hat and apron. Looking forward to twirling a few knives and flipping a shrimp into my hat. :))
    I still think mines pretty cool. My son has been with the Seahawks, 49er's and now with the Raidrers, all I'll ever got'n was NFL hats, shirts, rain gear and anything he got for free, he actually thought about this and pulled the trigger!!

atta boy. great present. who's your son? I'll keep an eye out for him
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    Options
    billyray said:

billyray said:

Your son plays pro ball or is he on the coaching or facilty staff?
  • frankc623
    Options
    I got a BGE platter, BGE apron, a yellow thermapen, some lump, new knives and a torch. Oh I also got a deck box to store some of my eggcessories.
    L-BGE | Westminster, MD
  • BBQNBREW
    Options
    I received the Digi Q, Deep Dish Pizza stone, Stone Scrubber, and much much more.  I am doing brisket right now in the snow.  Have a Happy Holiday everyone.
  • Max232
    Max232 Posts: 76
    Options
    Ain't it funny that we would all love to get lumps of coal in our stockings? :D

Stereo egging w/ xl and med eggs! BBQ guru

http://www.facebook.com/BeerGutsAndPorkButtsBbq

• Matt20971
    Options
    Wife got me a bbq guru cyber-q wifi. Parents gave me an egg cover, electric charcoal starter, and a BGE cookbook. Can't wait to cook a butt with the cyber-q.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Mine are no longer available direct from Klipsch since it was so long ago. I have the R-35 series. The RF7s are still available and I highly recommend them. They are II but still a similar platform none the less. http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker The RB-81's are niiiiiice for bookshelf but I just prefer floor standing speakers. This is what is on my radar for my theater room...unless something else makes me jump ship. http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system I'm definitely going processor/preamp just don't know what yet. McIntosh is a front runner though.

While you are out shopping check out a Paradigm dealer.  I have slightly older Paradigm Monitor 5s surround sound with a PW2200 subwoofer that rattles my neighbors houses. $10 grand I won't get back but worth it.  Denon components, wires fished through the walls, fun times...again worth it for a nice, clean look.  

Paradigm currently makes Monitor 7s.  This is their entry level.  Not even gonna bother looking up prices of their Signature line.   

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• TheEasyLife
    Options
    I got an XL egg
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    @centex and cazzy. He's an equipment manager and the defensive coordinators assistant. His playing days were over after college.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Awesome!! I got the T4i but Im kinda regretting I didn't get a full frame. Loving every bit of it though so it's been a lot of fun.
    Don't regret it. I have a T3i and thought the same thing at first. Learn the features of the current one and upgrade in the future. Most people don't need the ability to shoot at a high frame rate or need a ton of AF points. The HD video is awesome. The most important part is the glass. Like Nola said, get a fixed focal length(prime) lens. The "nifty 50" is fantastic. f1.8 for around 80 bucks. Yes, it's plastic, but it takes awesome pictures. I actually went with the f1.4 for the USM and better low-light activity, since I mostly shoot my infant daughter indoors. I don't think the f1.2 L is worth the cost unless you can justify it as a pro. I like the 50 because the 1.6x crop factor makes it a really nice 81mm portrait lens. That 24 mm would give you a 39mm length. I would even recommend the 28mm 1.8 USM. It's better for available light photography and is a similar price. For a couple hundred more, you can get the 24 mm f2.8 IS USM or the 28mm version. They both have slightly better build quality and Image Stabilization. I don't know if I would get a bunch of primes, though. Yes, pro's have a bunch... but pro's have multiple bodies to go with their multiple lenses so they don't miss action.

Based on your first few shots, I would presume that you will be doing a lot of little one shots. Little ones like to run around and change your distance and perspective. This is hard for a fixed length lens, since you are the zoom. If you have the clams, look at something like the 16-35mm f2.8L II USM. While it is a L lens with a L price, it gives you a fixed aperture 24-56mm zoom on a 1.6x camera.This will give you the ability to chase your little one indoors and out as well as getting great landscape shots of the egg in that sweet table you have.

In my opinion, it is most important to get EF lenses only. They are fully compatible with the entire Canon line and have much better resale value than the EF-S line. The two caveats may be the EF-S 17-55mm f 2.8 IS USM and the 10-22mm f 3.5-4.5 USM. They are as close to L glass as any EF-S will get.

You can also rent lenses to try them out. I would recommend this before dropping a grand or more on one.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Great advice eggcelsior. I have a few grand tied up in lenses.  I used to have the pro f2.8 wide and tele zooms, but they weigh a ton.  sold em.  Now I just have the 24 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 100 macro f2.8 and 300 f4.  I use the 24 most of the time.  Been shooting since I was 14 on my dad's Ftb, saved up my money and bought an A1 when I was 15.  Been through a dozen bodies since then.  The picture is mostly the lens and the photographer.  The body doesn't really matter much except for resolution, frames per second, focus points, etc...stuff that's perfectly adequate even in the cheap bodies.
    cazzy said:
    Mine are no longer available direct from Klipsch since it was so long ago. I have the R-35 series. The RF7s are still available and I highly recommend them. They are II but still a similar platform none the less. http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker The RB-81's are niiiiiice for bookshelf but I just prefer floor standing speakers. This is what is on my radar for my theater room...unless something else makes me jump ship. http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system I'm definitely going processor/preamp just don't know what yet. McIntosh is a front runner though.
    If you are looking primarily for Home Theater, I would look at JTR Speakers. [http://jtrspeakers.com/]  Best audio for primarily home theater IMO.  I would also look at the offerings from Seaton Sound (especially the Submersive).  Also excellent for HT stuff and really good for music as well.

You can save some money on amps and processor if you look at Emotiva.  They are great amps at reasonable prices.  Perfect for HT setup.  Some have had issues with their processor, but I have not had any issues.

Finally for those looking for unobtrusive stylish speakers, the Anthony Gallo Reference Stradas are awesome [http://www.roundsound.com/reference-strada.php].  I have them for surrounds/centers and really enjoy them.  You can generally find a pair with a decent discount on audiogon.

I have Gallo reference 3.0's for fronts, reference stradas for center and surrounds and 2 Epik Empire subs.  Everything is run by Emotiva XPA-2 amps, an Emotiva UMC-1 processor and an OPPO BDP-83 SE.  This set-up does music better than HT, but I use it 60/40 HT/music and love it.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams