Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi, new to the board

Options

Hi everyone.  I am new to this forum just wanted to say hello.  I am fairly new to the Green Egg world, just got my first (a large) a few weeks ago.  Been cooking on it like crazy, but still working out some kinks.  I come from an old school, upright charcoal type smoker, so having the egg is awesome!

Anyway, I work in the beef business so if anyone has any beef related questions feel free to ask me and I will answer the best I can.

- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• ccpoulin1
    Options
    cool--welcome!  Lots of good information to be found here

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Welcome !

Next purchase:  a camera to post pictures of your cooks.  
    :)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I use to be a senior poster but have fallen off, but I am back. I have a beef related question. I bought a Choice brisket yesterday from my favorite butcher. I want to season it with olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder and wrap it in plastic wrap an keep it in fridge over night. Then I will unwrap it, put it on drying rack and put it back in fridge for 8 hours. Will this be okay? then cook it overnight low and slow until 190. Does that sound right?
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Welcome aboard tays44! VI is right...we like pics around here. I'm sure you'll enjoy this place...It'll really help speed up your egg learning curve.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @tays44 - welcome to the land of chaos - for every question there are at least four or five very good answers, all different and all that work. You never work the kinks out, that's all part of the fun...Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options

The way your handling it should be fine.  Useless knowledge, but the brisket muscle supports a large portion of the animals walking/standing weight as they don't have collar bones.  That benig said, you can pretty much do anything you want to a brisket during prep....it is already tough as it is.  The key to any good brisket is to take your time and not get in a hurry.  190* is a good temp to reach.  Similar to a pork butt in that you want to cross that temperature threshold where the internal fat fully breaks down.

Welcome aboard! I use to be a senior poster but have fallen off, but I am back. I have a beef related question. I bought a Choice brisket yesterday from my favorite butcher. I want to season it with olive oil, kosher salt, black pepper and garlic powder and wrap it in plastic wrap an keep it in fridge over night. Then I will unwrap it, put it on drying rack and put it back in fridge for 8 hours. Will this be okay? then cook it overnight low and slow until 190. Does that sound right?

- EAT BEEF -
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    Welcome!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Welcome!  Make yourself at home!
    Flint, Michigan
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Welcome-enjoy the Kool-Aid.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Welcome to the cult, and remember, pics or it didn't happen.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Optiontrader
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    Welcome!!!  What part of the beef business do you work in?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Congrats on joining the club!
    Options
    tays44 said:

...  Useless knowledge, but the brisket muscle supports a large portion of the animals walking/standing weight as they don't have collar bones.  ...

It might be useless knowledge, but I collect that. I try to store a new factoid every day, and that beef have no collar bones, and thus the brisket is tough will go on record.

And, welcome to Eggland. The Egg is a great cooker, and will help make really good food with a bit of practice. I'll suggest that you should forget methods you developed w. other kinds of cookers. For instance, ceramic cookers really do reduce moisture loss from meats, so having a pan w. water is pretty much a waste of heat energy.

Happy cooking!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Glad to have you.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tays44
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    Welcome!!!  What part of the beef business do you work in?
    I work for a further processer.  We cut steaks, produce ground beef, that sort of thing.  All for restaurants though.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • tays44
    Options
    gdenby said:
    tays44 said:

...  Useless knowledge, but the brisket muscle supports a large portion of the animals walking/standing weight as they don't have collar bones.  ...

It might be useless knowledge, but I collect that. I try to store a new factoid every day, and that beef have no collar bones, and thus the brisket is tough will go on record.

And, welcome to Eggland. The Egg is a great cooker, and will help make really good food with a bit of practice. I'll suggest that you should forget methods you developed w. other kinds of cookers. For instance, ceramic cookers really do reduce moisture loss from meats, so having a pan w. water is pretty much a waste of heat energy.

Happy cooking!
    Good tip, I appreciate it.
    - EAT BEEF -