Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello!

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Matt and I'm from Gardendale, Alabama. Just got my new Large Egg a week ago, and have been working on my table, suffering because I couldn't cook on it yet. I have a couple questions.

1: how much of a gap do I need between the sides of the egg and the table. I cut the 21" BGE suggests, but it is only about a 1/4" gap.

2: I had to get thick pavers, because I built my lower shelf too low. Do these concrete blocks look like they'll work, I don't want exploding blocks.

Thanks for anyone's input, and I look forward to learning and sharing!

Matt

Comments

• Welcome Matt, table looks good. Don't think there will be an issue with exploding blocks. You might want to consider having a solid 16" paver under the egg, you can stack them, what you have is great for heat, but you might find it a pain when cleaning ash out IMHO. 
    1/4" is a bit tight, I think you will find most folks run 1/2" minimum. It is important to have an air gap and the egg can get fairly hot just below the felt line. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome...+1 on what @Skiddymarker said. I'd enlarge to cut out to even a much as 3/4"...also take a few minutes and scrape that "A" off the table. It looks ridiculous.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    Welcome...+1 on what @Skiddymarker said. I'd enlarge to cut out to even a much as 3/4"...also take a few minutes and scrape that "A" off the table. It looks ridiculous.
    Being the polite Canuck I am, I didn't say a word about the "A" on the table.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fly310
    Fly310 Posts: 13

Wow, the guy just says hello and you guys are slammin him already!  Tough crowd!  Welcome Bham!  And since I am an Illinois alum, and am stuck with the "Frightened Illini" I got nothing to say about the "A" :-)

Terry

• Bham.  Welcome !

I see your Egg is resting directly on the concrete.  Although it will get hot there, I don't think there will be a problem.  Concrete can explode if there is some lingering water in it, but your's doesn't look like there is enough surface area affected to cause an explosion, even if there is some water (which is unlikely).

You're off to a great start.  Pictures on your first post !!!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• It's all good. I can take some ripping. And can dish it as well. Roll Tide! I did struggle some uploading pics. For some reason they appeared as a comment.
  • It's all good. I can take some ripping. And can dish it as well. Roll Tide! I did struggle some uploading pics. For some reason they appeared as a comment.
    Good job, and given you are in the BCS Championship game, all the best, wear it and cook near it with pride. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'd make a houndstooth cover for that bad boy. Looks great.
  • I'd make a houndstooth cover for that bad boy. Looks great.

GREAT IDEA!!!
  • Bham_Egger is responsible for my owning of an Egg.... I went on that fishing trip with him (see my first post)! As far as I'm concerned, he's responsible for me spending approx $2000.00+ because of that trip (fishing trip+Egg+accessories)! But let me say this, he is an excellent cook, and has some experience in running a kitchen in a well known restaurant. I've got to say I'm probably responsible for him getting that Egg last week... He's spent a few weekends on my patio and he couldn't resist it any more! Glad you're here bud, congrats on the purchase, and we can't wait for you to share some of those recipes you have come up with!!! EGG ON!
    HOTTY TODDY!
  • Welcome Bham_Egger!  Make yourself at home!  Nice table, but it would look better with a blue Michigan "M".
    Flint, Michigan
  • Bham_Egger is responsible for my owning of an Egg.... I went on that fishing trip with him (see my first post)! As far as I'm concerned, he's responsible for me spending approx $2000.00+ because of that trip (fishing trip+Egg+accessories)! But let me say this, he is an excellent cook, and has some experience in running a kitchen in a well known restaurant. I've got to say I'm probably responsible for him getting that Egg last week... He's spent a few weekends on my patio and he couldn't resist it any more! Glad you're here bud, congrats on the purchase, and we can't wait for you to share some of those recipes you have come up with!!!

EGG ON!

Thanks missintoof. Yes, I accept responsibility for the 2 G's. Now we're even. I look forward to years of meggories! Haha!

• Guys, guys, guys! He's got a nice setup there! I think I might get some firebrick ASAP under that! I'd also have an ABC fire extinguisher about 10 feet from the table. Don't mount it under the table, you won't be able to get to it in an emergency! Finally, what are we gonna do when Bama beats Notre Dame like a red haired cross-eyed stepchild? And I'm Catholic!
  • Ha! I'm Catholic too! Roll Tide!
    And, I have some fire brick coming, and I am a firefighter and work at a fire extinguisher manufacturer on my off days. I always have an ABC extinguisher ready. No water, don't want to damage the Egg!
  • Ha! I'm Catholic too! Roll Tide! And, I have some fire brick coming, and I am a firefighter and work at a fire extinguisher manufacturer on my off days. I always have an ABC extinguisher ready. No water, don't want to damage the Egg!
    But you can't be an Irish Catholic, 'cause they are usually so wasted they are not sure where, when or who they are. Wearing Tide colors is OK, need not be mentioned at your next confession, don't take any chances....
  • Italian Catholic....
  • The 1/4" gap is fine. As others have said, I'd put a 3rd block in between, or use a solid paver. Penn Stater here. I ain't sayin nothin!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Whatever Paver you use an air gap is still a good idea. Welcome to a new life and enjoy it !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO