Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with current cook

Options
Not sure what is going on.  Pork butt on now for 24 hours.  Meat temp is 180, but was at 185.  Temp seems to be falling but temp of dome still 230.  I have cyber Q running.  I placed another temp prob and reading 180 as well.  Why is it stalling??

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I like to cook my butts at higher dome to be around 240-250 at the grid. Don't seem to lose much from doing a little higher heat but does seem to help work through any stall quicker. Also, you didn't say how big the butt was but 24 hours is a really long time. Have you checked the bone to see if its loose?
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The stall/plateau can happen more than once. If you can, bump the temp to at least 250, maybe 275. That should kick the meat temp up pretty fast.

As Buckeye said, if there is a bone, and its loose, that is a great sign the butt is done.
  • ttexxan
    Options
    Will check and also bump up the temp
  • 1sreksuh
    Options

please tell how this turns out.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    All good info above and running at a higher temp (275-300) on the dome down the road doesn't seem to impact the end result.  That said, I have seen a similar deal in the high 180's-the proverbial second stall that really messes with guesstimated finish time.  BTW-what size butt and BGE and all in one lump load? No worries-gonna taste great!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Listen to Lou!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ttexxan
    ttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Large Egg all in one lump.  Heat has maintained with whatever put on Cyber Q.  I did two butts at same time one over 10 which is taking longest and smaller one.  The smaller one top at 195 and then I pulled so able to use one for this afternoon dinner.  I set dome initially for 220 and let go all day yesterday.  Thought it would have been done by now under that temp.  I have cyber q cliped to therm on egg.  I know have at 250 and temp rising.  Its now at 186.  I checked with Thermapen and seems to be correct.

II did think about pulling off at 195 or should I wait till 200
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options

If bone in then as mentioned, if the bone pulls free you are finished-beyond that I would go til it pulls free or if boneless then as long as you can handle it schedule-wise, go for the 200+ finish temp.  Basically when the butt is about to fall apart is where you want to finish.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ttexxan
    Options
    At 195 now...First one I just pulled for company about to be here...Turned out good.  Will cont to let this one cook