Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gimme the Lowdown on Reverse Sear

Options
Plano_JJ
Plano_JJ Posts: 448
edited December 2012 in Beef
I have 2 big beautiful sirloin steaks that I am going to cook tonight. Never tried reverse searing. These things are about 2lbs each. So what do I do, cook them around 350 then sear them at the end around 700 deg? Is that how it works? I will try and put some pics up when I get them out tonight.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

check out this link and the XERT steak method.  BTW his main site is a wealth of ceramic cooker knowledge!

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef Enjoy!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The Whiz technique works, every time I try it I get it a little overdone, not his technique, just my own stupidity. 
    On baseball cuts I tried the standing rib roast technique and found it to work better for me. 
    Put my CI grid on the fire ring, some tile spacers on the CI grid (makes it easier to get a hold of the setter to get it out later), then setter legs up, then SS grid. No drip pan needed. Egg at 250-275. Drop on the steaks. When the internal is 115-120, pull the steaks (usually 20-30 minutes), the SS grid and the setter - The CI grid is fairly hot anyway, but open the egg to after burn, about 3-5 minutes. Drop the steaks on maybe 1-2 minutes a side. Carve and slice like the Whiz says. 
    The gentle heat seems to let the smoke hit the meat more and any seasoning seems more intense. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • sean4185
    Options
    I cooked a 15 and a half pound prime rib on the egg this Xmas eve and it was a piece of cake to reverse sear, which I had never done before.  After rubbing with the spices I wanted, I brought the egg to 250 degrees and placed the PS in with a tub full of broth to catch the juices.  It went for about 2 or so hours being sure to check every hour and removed when the temp read around 110 - 115 degrees.  Removed PS and opened the vents and got egg to 400 degrees and seared for a few minutes on each side and removed and covered with foil tent.  This is the best way that I have done it and would do it again for sure.  Will try and post pics soon.