Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

wash & dry your meat?

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
I normally wash & dry chicken but after reading posts on the forum I started washing and drying my pork butts as well. Is this normal, and if so, where do you draw the line? Should I wash my flat iron steak tonight before rub/grill? Shesh . .
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I always wash fish before I cook.  Everything else, no, unless it falls on the floor or feels slimy.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Steve, the dark meat's not gonna turn white.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• you don't need to wash your meat unless you plan to eat it raw.  However, you need to dry it when you are browning it in a pan / skillet so that you don't end up steaming the meat.  If you are searing it, no real need to dry, but I have a reflexive reaction that causes me to dry it anyway.  The only other time I dry the meat is after washing off a brine, especially with whole chickens or turkeys. 
  • nolaegghead
    I hate flies too.  I usually sprinkle on a little plutonium/DDT/Chlordane/Toxaphene rub for those buggers.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Just pour some beer on it and it'll be fine
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • nolaegghead
    That explains the giant hole in the ozone layer over Caladon.  That's some good sh*t.
    I just wait for it to hit all the beer in my stomach. All safe......
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2012
    Used to clean circuit boards with it and there was nothing like it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    you don't need to wash your meat unless you plan to eat it raw.  However, you need to dry it when you are browning it in a pan / skillet so that you don't end up steaming the meat.  If you are searing it, no real need to dry, but I have a reflexive reaction that causes me to dry it anyway.  The only other time I dry the meat is after washing off a brine, especially with whole chickens or turkeys. 
    what's the difference between searing and browning?
    VI - I think you're confusing this food forum with the oriental massage forum.
    =))
    i thought helped with rubs or something rather than safety reason. You ever wash after a salty marinade like a soy or just pat dry?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nolaegghead
    I always wash the hell out of anything after brining. 
    I just rub with Kentucky Jelly.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Drying in a fridge overnight works fine for drying. It's pretty amazing how little salt permeates the meat with marinades. I do a two day marinade for sates and put it on the egg coated. The French will coat a piece of beef with salt and leave it for 24 hours and ir doesn't really pick much salt up. Poultry is another story though.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    k, didnt wash my steak, ha, and looks safe to me. Its still resting now, but hope i make it through the night!

imageimage
    Columbus, OH

• Wash and dry your meat?  That's what she said !
    Exactly what I was thinking

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• I wash my meat before I go to bed.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I used to until I read some article about how contaminated most home sinks are due to washing chicken in them. it went on to say that as long as you cooked it properly, there was no real need to wash it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    open package, add rub, flip pieces in open package and add rub on the other side. flip package upsidown over grill, its cooking.if its safe when you buy it hou dont need to wash it, if its not safe when you buy it, you cant wash off the really bad germs that are on it anyways. you can spread the germs by washing though, on the sink, counter, plate, board, hands, face, shirt etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    I wash my meat before I go to bed.
    I'm sure your wife is glad you do. ;)
    Griffin said:

I used to until I read some article about how contaminated most home sinks are due to washing chicken in them. it went on to say that as long as you cooked it properly, there was no real need to wash it.

Since I read that article I quit washing chicken butt occasionally will clean the meat. Whatever you do..hope you have a happy ending.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    henapple said:
    Since I read that article I quit washing chicken butt occasionally will clean the meat. Whatever you do..hope you have a happy ending.
    I'll occasionally wash meat (beef or pork), but not chicken. Especially if it comes out of a cryovac and it feels "slimey"

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Griffin said:
    henapple said:
    I'll occasionally wash meat (beef or pork), but not chicken. Especially if it comes out of a cryovac and it feels "slimey"
    Yins can do dat.. I still warsh my chickin in da wudder. I always wipe down da sink with Lysol wipes and den rinse after 5 minutes, since I warsh the biberons in der as well. 
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I always dry my meat. Decades ago, I learned from Julia Child that meat will not brown properly if it is wet.

OTOH, I never wash it.

Tim
  • You guys are too much tonight =))
  • Rinse and pat dry everything. Ribs, butts, briskets, chicken.

Not so much Steak I am going to sear on the grill.