Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Roast

I plan to lightly smoke a beef tenderloin roast with oak.  Anyone have suggestions about marinades and / or alternatives to oak, based on great experiences?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I think oak is great on beef.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Only a personal preference, as most preferences are, but beef tenderloin and prime rib are the two roast cuts I prefer not to smoke. The meat speaks for itself. Tenderloin has so little fat it can use a little bacon help - which usually has some smoke in it already, so if you use a smoked bacon, you may want to "match" the smoke chunks, but it really doesn't need it. Salt. pepper, some garlic powder and bacon is good. If you don't use bacon, some onion powder and rosemary added to the salt pepper and garlic done in a paste is a great rub. Make the paste with a 1:1 ratio, herbs and EVOO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i agree on the oak, but go light with it just a kiss for a hint of flavor.  that with a nice oaky cabernet is near perfection.  oh and a good horse radish sauce.