Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood type for table

Options

What type of wood are you using here in the north (MI).I'm not fond of treated. I don't have a covered patio, only a few trees. I could cover it most times.

Not a option in cool down after a late cook. So overnight rains or now snow will get at it. Wood top looks nice but leaning toward a concrete top. Wanting some longevity and may epoxy with West Systems (2 miles away).

Thanks ahead for the feed back,Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Check out ipe....Brazilian. 3 times the density of oak and the fire rating of concrete. I'd go with the hard top. I like being able to set the PS or pizza stone on top.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yumdinger
    Options

I am in Minnesota and went with Cedar.  I tiled the top which looks great. Upon review I should have gone with a concrete top.  The combination of wood and tile is susceptable to expansion.  A bit of my grout is cracking around the edges.  I will likely be pouring a concrete top at some time in the future.

I am happy with the cedar however, it matches my deck and was much more affordable than soem of the hardwoods listed above.

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Ipe is great for decks, but doesn't glue very well, even with epoxy.  You will need to rely on mechanical fasteners if you chose to go this way.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    My cypress table is holding up nicely.  One thing about wooden tops that I didn't realize is that they get incredibly dirty.  Charcoal dust, grease drips, etc.  I probably would have gone with a granite top if I had known what my wooden top would look like after a year of regular eggin'.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I'm up here in Canada (Calgary) and have the same problem - can't cover it after a cook before bed-time...

I foolishly bought the BGE table with my large from my dealer... After my wife and I buy a new house - should be next summer - I'll be replacing the table.  

Only one option in my mind will really stand up to the snow, look just as nice as day 1 after it's beaten on by the elements, and complements the egg properly..... Stone.  Going to put together a table using stone on my next deck/patio for sure.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a cypress table and the top is sealed with epoxy and spar paint.  After I wipe it down it still looks brand new.  It took some work, but it was worth it.
    Options
    My ipe ran about $5/ft. I through bolted everything and recessed them.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Neighbors table was red cedar plank, sealed with epoxy and spar, like Nola's. Wiped off nicely, but ash did have enough grit it started to wear the finish. I have tile now in a fixed counter, no table and it has a roof. I would advise anyone if you want a care free surface use stone. Concrete, tile, granite loose laid pavers over a wooden frame. Easy to clean and fireproof when you drop a hot setter on it. 

@Henapple - very nice. I'm a sucker for rough flags, sometimes harder to clean, but looks so much better than a smooth stone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Skiddymarker. Thanks. I was in a hurry for a table when I first bought the egg. Might try to sell it and build another...maybe when the small BGE finally comes home.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Ipe is a great choice. I LOVE my concrete top. Zero maintenance. I framed the table with PT. White oak is also an excellent choice.
    Mark Annville, PA