Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold smoke vs. hot smoked belly

13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Retrospectively - yeah, doesn't sound like something a sane person would do.  Just goes to show you all the embalming spices and salt we use to boil crawfish keep it fresher than an unopened pack of hot dogs in a land fill.  That bacon has had much better sanitation, should be fine.

Yes....I do see the absurdity of buying "healthier" bacon.  But they are putting out so many deadly foods these days that I have gotten paranoid.
  • Good question I would like to know this as well
  • If I ever again hear a sentence that starts with "I once re-sucked the heads" of anything, it will be too soon
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I know someone else will chime in on the nitrites but I read somewhere (I think Ruhlmans blog) you can but it turns the finished product a greyish color. Salt only cure.
  • nolaegghead
    Yes, you can cure without nitrites.  The color is not as red or pink and the taste is less ham-line and more pulled - pork like.  The texture is different, and the shelf life is shorter.
  • Man has been curing and preserving meats for thousands of years out of necessity. There was no refrigeration. Today there is no need to cure anything with salts or nitrites. Frozen meat will keep almost forever so why do we continue to cure meats today? I'll tell ya. It is for the taste! If you want to cure meat without nitrites, go ahead. It will have a different flavour, a different texture and a different colour. It will end up being a salty piece of meat and will look like it is well done. If that is what you are looking for, fine. If it is not, then take the time to do the research and cure the meat properly. Nitrites and nitrates are not good for us in large amounts. Unless you consume a continuous diet of cured meat, there is very little to be concerned about. It's like going for a walk. You know the exercise is good but OMG! the sun might just kill you.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    Good points ShishkaBob.  One reason I'd rather use the nitrates,  - they kill Clostridium botulinum, and if you cold smoke, that's something you CAN get.
  • Thanks Nola. It is a matter of common sense isn't it. Cold smoking meat is like leaving it out on the counter all day in the danger zone. As long as you have the nitrates present, the meat is safe. Try doing  that without it. I should have included this info in my rant. Speaking of common sense; Why is it so rare????

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I often have the same questions after viewing Youtube videos. Firstly, "Why would one do that" and secondly, "Why would one post that on the internet?". This world works in mysterious ways.

• Well.....I'm certainly not making an issue about nitrites.  I am just ignorant on the subject.  What I am not ignorant about is some of the dangerous food that is pushed on us today.  I'm certainly not a purist.  Heck I eat at restaurants almost daily so I have no idea what's in the food.  I do try to get the best food I can to serve at home.  I've lived in a farming community most of my life and we have cancer rates that are through the roof.  I moved out of there partially for that reason.  One thing is a certainty........I would rather eat ribs than tabouli!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well.....I'm certainly not making an issue about nitrites.  I am just ignorant on the subject.  What I am not ignorant about is some of the dangerous food that is pushed on us today.  I'm certainly not a purist.  Heck I eat at restaurants almost daily so I have no idea what's in the food.  I do try to get the best food I can to serve at home.  I've lived in a farming community most of my life and we have cancer rates that are through the roof.  I moved out of there partially for that reason.  One thing is a certainty........I would rather eat ribs than tabouli!
    The biggest issue with nitrates is their ability to convert to a potent carcinogen(nitrosamines). This occurs in the stomach and under high heat conditions. Fortunately, one would have to eat A LOT of processed meat to cause this, or burn it all the time. 
  • jdgcrean
    jdgcrean Posts: 44
    edited December 2012

"Just my opinion but after the cure is applied I think you are good to go. It's been done for hundreds of years with no refrigeration at all."

Thanks Little Steven on not letting me pitch what my Father called the "best bacon he's ever had"! Did the Ruhlman maple bacon cure, and smoked it at 210 degrees with lumps of apple wood.

Wasn't able to escape a little food poisoning, although it didn't come from the bacon - apparently I was a little too adventuresome at the seafood table of a christmas brunch buffet.