Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

quick butt

Options
Figured 2 hrs lb...took 1 1/2. Serving at six....what to do? Thanks
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    The butt is at 195* right now?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    205...pulling it now.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    FTC will keep it till 6, dont worry about it. Just wrap the hell out of it in good foil and keep it in a nice warm cooler.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    I have gone 6 hours with ftc and no problem, i'm sure you can go a little more.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    What temp were you cooking at? Must have been about 275 dome im guessing.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    To add to what @michigan_jason said, fill the cooler with hot water for 10 minutes first to heat up the insulation, empty, then add the foil-wrapped butt. Stuff towels around the pork(all sides, top and bottom) to eliminate air pockets that will conduct heat faster. I did this with brisket and is was too hot to touch 5 hours later. What time is chow? Perhaps move it up a bit.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    He said 6pm, so he has 8 hours, but he will be fine.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Oops! I though it said "serving 6" as in 6 people. My dumb mistake.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Never thought about the warm water thing prior to putting the butt in, I guess I just always let the heat from the butt warm the cooler.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Reading is fundamental

• henapple
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response...I'll ftc till around 2..then check it. Michigan, you're right about the temp. Did an overnight so I bumped it up. At 3am it was still at 240...7am out hit 270. First overnight that I didn't have to get up and she looks awesome. Thanks again guys.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Lol

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    I don't have a stoker, so I do mine during the day. FTC longest has been maybe 2 hours. Good to know they will hold longer if needed. The real lesson I learned was to remember how I foiled, makes it so easy to unwrap if you recall where the folds are.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    @Skiddymarker...the plan was pull the roast at noon and then put 2 racks of bb on, pull at 5 and then shower...help the wife inside. In a perfect world....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    henapple just my two-cents: I would not hold it that long in cooler (from 8am to 6pm).  But that is just me......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Skiddymarker...the plan was pull the roast at noon and then put 2 racks of bb on, pull at 5 and then shower...help the wife inside. In a perfect world....
    Perfect plan. 
    Good old Murphy's Law always seems to apply. The last time I tried an overnight cook, the egg was 265 stable with the butt on at 8:00PM, at 10:00 I went to bed. The Maverick on duty, within 2 hours the high alarm, 315, went off. I adjusted just a touch, at 2:00AM the high went off again. I got up adjusted, had a beer and watched it stay rock steady until 5:30AM, I dozed off and "beep, beep, beep" off it goes again. That did it. I vowed to never do an overnight again unless I used a stoker. I keep telling SWMBO that rather than buy a stoker, WE should invest in another egg so we can prepare two meals at once, I think she is weakening.   
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    @Mickey...gonna ftc till 2. If it's cooling I'm gonna put it in the oven on warm till 4 and then turn the oven off. Wish me luck.