Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick thermapen question . .

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Can I use it for high heat oil over 400? Or could it damage . . .
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Andy_in_CO
    Options
    The pen is rated for over 550. I would worry about the tip being submerged in the oil though. I don't even wash mine in water. Just rub it off with some Clorox wipes.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited December 2012
    Options
    The manufacturer rates to to 572°. I've used in oil up to 450° in the past and have never had an issue. That being said, I didn't submerge it too deep, or leave it in too long.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I would love to help out but mine is under the tree and she won't let me have it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Oil is Ok, my original lasted three years (before someone walked off with it) always used it to check oil temps when oil heating on my gasser side burner. 
    And i do wash mine, soapy cloth and quick rinse after each cooks use. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Thanks everyone . . Doing some steak fries in the Dutch oven, thanks!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The Themapen is rated to a max temp.  I'd avoid aqua regia, nitric acid, fluoric acid, perchloric acid, antimatter, etc.  (corrosives).  Last I checked, oil didn't dissolved stainless steel. :D