Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 Pork Butts, Double the time???

Options
SRTFAN
SRTFAN Posts: 4
I am doing two pork butts and was wondering if i need to double the time or not?

By the way, my first pork butt was amazing thanks to this forum!!

Jim

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    Nope
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • SRTFAN
    Options
    Thanks, that means I get to sleep tonight
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I would allow 1.5 to 2 hours per pound based on largest butt. May finish a little early. Check them separately as they will probably not cook the same.

I usually cook mine at 300 dome for about 1.5 hrs/pound until 200 internal.

Good luck.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    All great advice above-but probably the most important is from Hi54Putty-Check them separately as they will probably not cook the same. Enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SRTFAN
    Options
    That sounds great, I think one is 6lbs and the other is 7lbs, but I will definitely check the both.  Thanks for the tip.  I'll plan on 14 hours and hope for the best.

Thanks
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Think of it this way - if you cook a dozen cookies it is the same cooking time as 1 cookie. Indirect works like an oven.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    last double I cooked, the large butt was done 2 hrs before the small. They are all their own critter.....
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SRTFAN
    Options
    They have been on for 12 hours so far and are both at 155ish.  They look awesome!  
    Thanks for the help gentlemen, my neighbors are going to appreciate this. 

Jim
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Two big ones at one time might add 45 minutes to an hour to the total cook time, as you are adding twice as much cold meat to the cooking space. Make sure the butts are not touching each other, let the air circulate around them. Like some one noted above 1 cookie might cook in 10 minutes, 12 of them might cook in 11 minutes assuming a constant heat oven. The difference is minimal.

Sounds like it is going well, consider yourself an expert!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • xraypat23
    Options
    usually, 2 ='s less time for me. More volume of food in the cooker means greater efficiency
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Did my first double butt last night, still on this morning. Right on track with the same time line as for a single butt. So the answer is no, don't double the time.

Hard to say if you need to add a bit of time like skiddy says. I had to cook about 290-300 since I was a few hours shy on time. But they are looking good, about 175, and I am shooting for 195 by 10 am. Should be just right. Biggest one was about 9 lbs, so it looks like it should be about 14 hours, or 1.6 hours/lb.
    LBGE
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Some people find it necessary to put 5 pounds of stuff in a 2 pound bag.  

Simple ingredients, amazing results!