Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions from a Newbie

Options
2»

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I won't jump into the Platesetter debate as I think we have beat that one here other than to say I use a Platesetter and it works great for me. Think about getting a High Que fire grate to replace the one that coms with the Egg. I have had much better luck creating and maintaining my fire since I got mine. Also no worries about it clogging up and choking off the fire. Just feel free to share your experiences and questions here. And we love pictures!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    Be prepared for mistakes!

No matter what anyone on this forum, it's not the tools nor the BBQ that create good food; it's the cook.

It's all operator error.

If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • hogaholic
    Options

My advice is to read the first few pages of this forum and use the buttons to the right to access specific recipes.  Also the search button is a great resource.

Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • jackieb79
    Options
    My essentials are:
    • a thermapen and an IR gun from Thermoworks.com
    • BGE Lg. Pizza Stone (you haven't tasted pizza until you've done it on the egg...  Trust me, it's not in the same ball park as oven baked pizza.  I've written about pizza a LOT on my blog)
    • a super peel (www.superpeel.com)
  • ttexxan
    ttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012
    Options

Go to BBQ Guru site...Get a cyber Q or Digi Q!!  You will thank me later.  I literally light mine and then let Cyber Q do the rest and forget about it!!  The fan controls the rest!!  No more late nights staying up checking and then re checking on your temps.  I dont care what anyone says they wish they had a Cyber Q, digi Q or stoker!!  My temps are more constant than ever and can check from my iphone

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options

Buy everything everyone here has said.  When you figure out what you don't need/use send it to me.  The things I've used the most.  Maverick 732, placesetter, pizza stone and CI Dutch oven.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• GBC
    GBC Posts: 58
    Options
    I cannot thank everyone enough for all the valuable information shared with me so far!  I greatly appreciate it!

I'm going to get my Egg this afternoon, plan on weather proofing my table tonight and cooking my first "something" tomorrow night, not sure what it will be just yet.

Once again, I appreciate the responses.
    Greg
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    Bushmills is Protestant and Jameson is Catholic.  I am a pedestrian, so I am OK!  B-)

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Bushmills is Protestant and Jameson is Catholic.  I am a pedestrian, so I am OK!  B-)
    I drink Tullamore Dew, it is completely non-denominational.  ;))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!