Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High temp cooking

I learned something today. Normaly I am a low temp kind of guy. More time to drink beer that way. But today I cranked the old egg on up there to 500 and you probley already guessed what happened. All of that beautiful black patina that had formed on the inside of the egg burnt and then turned loose, all over my food. Live &learn.
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I just did a 650* burn for an hour after a cook recently..  First time in a year and for 20 minutes or so it was definitely burning stuff off based upon the smoke.  Normally my big fire cooking is lid open for searing, so it is rare for my egg to see temps over 400*.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Sometimes after a pizza or steak cook I'll just open it up and let it roll...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I am curious, how long did your Egg warm up before you added the food? I go back and forth between low and high and haven't had the problem....yet. Also I never put food on the Egg until I have clean looking and smelling smoke coming out. But that normally happens before I hit my target temperature. 

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • jfm0830 said:
    I am curious, how long did your Egg warm up before you added the food? I go back and forth between low and high and haven't had the problem....yet. Also I never put food on the Egg until I have clean looking and smelling smoke coming out. But that normally happens before I hit my target temperature. 

Jim
    Jim, you note you go between high and low temps, the OP noted he is usually a low temp kinda guy. You are actually having little cleans when you have the odd but regular high temp cook  - no time for the crud to build. @dayzed&confused does a lot of lows, so the crud will build. One high temp and it all broke loose.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I let the egg get up to 500 degree temp and then put in the turkey. After I added the bird the egg quickly fell to 350 and that is where I cooked it. I think Skiddymarker is right that there lots of crud build up and the one high temp was enough to make it turn loose.
    San Angelo, texas