Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cold cook

Options

Just got back from a holiday in Cuba yesterday and I missed my egg for the whole week. I need a turkey. love them on the egg.

It is going down to -21c here tonight and a high of -12c tomorrow afternoon. Im looking to cook when its the warmest. Anyone else here cook when its that low? Or lower?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    -36 C is my lowest. Nasty night! The egg will perform like a champ and it's easier to control the temps cause of the increased volume of colder, more dense air.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Coldest it normally gets here is roughly 40s, so no I have never cooked in that weather, lol!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Well its -18c and I just sparked her up.

I guess I am just nervous about the contrasting temps causing a issue.

Ill check back in a couple of hours.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Gawd I love Winterpeg. Not even winter yet :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

Well it all worked out. Everyting was good.

Turkey skin got a little dark, black at the very top, so tip of the breast was a little dry. Otherwise it was a good cook.

I dont think I will run out to use my egg as much in this kind of cold though, as fun, and as much as I love my egg, it is just too cold to be running in and out.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I'm in Houston, and the coldest I've ever Egged is around 45°.  Damn !  That was no fun !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    hondabbq said:

Well it all worked out. Everyting was good.

Turkey skin got a little dark, black at the very top, so tip of the breast was a little dry. Otherwise it was a good cook.

I dont think I will run out to use my egg as much in this kind of cold though, as fun, and as much as I love my egg, it is just too cold to be running in and out.

Good on you, true Canadian spirit. It was 3C here on the left coast yesterday, and I postponed doing a steak. As an Ontario ex-pat, I used to bring my propane tank in the house to warm it up and then wrap it with a heat blanket so I could BBQ in the winter, I have grown so soft. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • FlashkaBob
    Options
    I'm in Houston, and the coldest I've ever Egged is around 45°.  Damn !  That was no fun !!!

There wouldn't be any point at all in owning a BGE if we in the north waited until it was above 45*F to egg anything. I just finished doing a sirloin tip tonight in the freezing rain. Had to scrape the  ice off before putting the cover back on. There is nothing like shoveling a path in the snow to the BBQ for a mouth watering cook.

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.