Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back to the basics - Shish kabob

Nothing special but I like that the tomatoes, bell pepper, and jalapeño slices came from the garden.
Filet mignon meat was marinated in JD Smokehouse BBQ sauce, bourbon, brown sugar and garlic powder.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Looks good. One of my favorite meals.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Simple but still oh so good. Nice job.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Shish Kabobs are made with lamb.  You have Beef Kabobs.  One of my Arab friends gave me a tip for tender Shish Kabobs.  Smear the kabobs with peanut butter and put them in the fridge for several hours.  After you grill them you will not taste the peanut butter, but, wow, what a great flavor and tenderness.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    SamFerrise said: Shish Kabobs are made with lamb.  You have Beef Kabobs.  

The culinary world is full of terms that aren't
    technically correct, but are accepted. Example:  Fajitas made with anything other than skirt steak should actually be called carne asada, and not fajitas. Fajitas come from the Spanish word "faja" (belt or girdle), which also refers to the cut of beef called skirt steak.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Get it right Idiot!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Sorry Sam you got it wrong. Kebab refers to meat on a skewer shish is the persian equivilent of six which refers to the number of pieces of meat on the skewer

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    Looks great VI! Great simple cook that I'm sure was awesome. I can only imagine how great it looked plated! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thanks, guys (-1).

@Little Steven.  I love you, man !  
    :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• No matter the name or number that looks good. I have not done those in a while but now I'm thinking...
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    looks great to me even if there arent 6 pieces of meat on the skewer
    :)) its one of the best ways to eat veggies
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I've had kebabs made by both Persians and Arabs in their respective native countries.

If you ask for kebab, they bring you meat on a stick. Sometimes it's lamb. Sometimes it's beef. Sometimes it's hand formed ground meat and sometimes it's cut up pieces like VI did.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I dated a lady named Kebab for a few years, but I won't go into that.  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Thanks for posting, I was debating what to cook Sunday and that settled it.  Out of curiosity, I see you did those direct, but at what temperature?  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Great looking cook, whatever the purists want to call it, although I think the origin may have been lamb/goat based 'cause that's what was eaten in most of the middle east centuries ago. In today's use the term Shish Kabob seems to mean meat and veggies on a stick. 

VI - how do you keep your tomatoes from exploding on the grill? We tend to use sirloin (hit it with the Jaccard) peppers, onion. I do the tomatoes on a separate skewer, over the cooler part of the grill to warm but not split them. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • @CPARKTX I cooked them at about 400°, direct.

@Skiddymarker Yes, I've had them explode also.  These tomatoes are firmer than the typical cherry tomatoes.  They're more like a plum tomato, but smaller. I asked for Romas at the nursery, but this is all they had.  Works out real well for the kabobs.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I've had kebabs made by both Persians and Arabs in their respective native countries. If you ask for kebab, they bring you meat on a stick. Sometimes it's lamb. Sometimes it's beef. Sometimes it's hand formed ground meat and sometimes it's cut up pieces like VI did.
    What Travis said. My aunt told me the same thing, as she has traveled extensively in Europe and the near-Middle East while working for National Geographic. Sometimes it is called shawarma, sometimes it is called al pastor. It is even called a gyro or a pūpū.

In Turkey, "Şiş kebap" is a dish consisting of lamb on a skewer. Turkey is neither Persian or Arabic.

This seems eerily similar to the "chili vs meat and bean stew" argument.... 
    :))