Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chile Relleno (Non Fried)

The wife asked for more healthy food, so I had this idea of Chile Rellenos that I had a few years ago.

Roasted a few Poblano Peppers and then put them in a bag, and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Pulled them out and the skin came off easy.

For the Mixture. Brown Rice, Cilantro, Tomato, little Habanero Cheese, and grilled shrimp with a little dizzy pig. After I stuffed the Chile's I rolled them in Panko Crumbs and then put them on at 350 for about 30Minutes, after that poured a some Green Chile sauce on each (Didnt want them to get soggy).

The dish came out amazing, also had some of my famous Borracho Beans brewing throught out the day so that was a nice side.

Dont Know if it was heathy but it was damn good. Will make this one again.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

cr.JPG 650.6K
cr1.JPG 752.2K
cr2.JPG 724.4K
cr3.JPG 594.2K

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Nice. I could have given you some pulled beef to put in them. So when are we gonna hit your the wine bar? Or your friends new bar? I'll bring you a pair of pink Hello Kitty gloves so you can get your placesetter out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Man, the tex mex lately has been looking great.

Very nice.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    That looks terrifilicious!  =P~
  • Nice! Absolutely love chile rellenos! Could you make rellenos fried in the egg? If so would it be a good or bad idea? Any thoughts?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Dyal_SC said:
    That looks terrifilicious!  =P~

Are you gonna start making up words again? Wanna start up the smart alec club again?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    My favorite dish, it's what I get anytime I go out for Mexican. You've inspired me to start makin' my own!

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Nice! Absolutely love chile rellenos! Could you make rellenos fried in the egg? If so would it be a good or bad idea? Any thoughts?

Not sure about having hot grease sitting above an open flame. I guess if you used a Dutch oven and had the grease shallow in it.

After watching William Shatners Grease fire commercial I am terrified.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Not trying to steal the thread, but here is another non-fried chile rellenos type dish.  The original recipe was from AZRP, but I modified it to our tastes, like using hamburger meat instead of pork, and adding corn tortillas throughout.  Anyway, folks rave over it.

Chile Rellenos Casserole

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 pound Hamburger meat, ground

1 small Onion , chopped

16  ounces Colby Jack Cheese, shredded

1 cup Poblano, Anaheim, or canned chiles, any combination of roasted

2 Eggs, whisked

6 ounces Evaporated Milk

1 tablespoon Flour     

1 teaspoon Salt

Corn tortillas

1/2 cup Cilantro, next time

1 or 2 Jalapenos, finely chopped (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat Egg to 375.

2. Saute onions and brown hamburger meat.

3. Put 16 ounces of cheese in a large bowl.  Mix in chiles, onions, and hamburger meat.

4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, evaporated milk, flour and salt.

5. Grease a 11 x 7 casserole dish.  Place layer of corn tortillas on bottom.  Spread out half of the hamburger, chile, and cheese mixture.  Add strips of tortillas.  Spread out remainder of the hamburger mix.  Pour the milk mixture over the casserole.

6. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until browned. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Dang VI, that looks great. I'm making that!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • TUTTLE871
    VI that looks pretty tasty.  One of my favorite things to do on the Egg is Casserole's. Plus the wife can eat on them for a few days if I am out of town.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Those look great! We do non fried ones as well. I use a lot of black beans in ours, and no rice though. Might have to make some this week now.
  • Not trying to steal the thread, but here is another non-fried chile rellenos type dish.  The original recipe was from AZRP, but I modified it to our tastes, like using hamburger meat instead of pork, and adding corn tortillas throughout.  Anyway, folks rave over it.

Chile Rellenos Casserole

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients:

1 pound Hamburger meat, ground

1 small Onion , chopped

16  ounces Colby Jack Cheese, shredded

1 cup Poblano, Anaheim, or canned chiles, any combination of roasted

2 Eggs, whisked

6 ounces Evaporated Milk

1 tablespoon Flour     

1 teaspoon Salt

Corn tortillas

1/2 cup Cilantro, next time

1 or 2 Jalapenos, finely chopped (optional)

Directions:

1. Preheat Egg to 375.

2. Saute onions and brown hamburger meat.

3. Put 16 ounces of cheese in a large bowl.  Mix in chiles, onions, and hamburger meat.

4. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, evaporated milk, flour and salt.

5. Grease a 11 x 7 casserole dish.  Place layer of corn tortillas on bottom.  Spread out half of the hamburger, chile, and cheese mixture.  Add strips of tortillas.  Spread out remainder of the hamburger mix.  Pour the milk mixture over the casserole.

6. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until browned. 

Gary,

I had an "accident" a while back trying to make rellenos and came up with something similar.

Poblanos are very hard to come by in the GWN. Got a bunch and was planning on chilis rellenos.
    Burned the skins
    Put them in paper bags

Had a coupla beers and didn't think about it being below freezing outside. Anyway they overcooled and couldn't pull the skin off.

Trying to salvage the cook I decided to make a casserole
    Lined the pan with what I could salvage from the chilis
    Put the Spanish rice on top
    Some cheese on top
    Some pork and chopped pork tenderloin with Mexican spice
    Toasted tortillas
    More cheese and tortillas grilled on the egg topped with more pablano
    Some salsa and chorizo underneath
    Just about ready now..Dayum

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited December 2012
    Nice save, Steve !  I'm sure it tasted good.   =D>

Make that in Salado.  I'll bring the poblanos.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    when i bake the  rellenos i leave the skin on, do people find the skin to be no good, i dont find poblanos skins any different than a jalepino and i leave the skins on those as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BOOKMARKED! Thanks VI!
    Flint, Michigan
  • when i bake the  rellenos i leave the skin on, do people find the skin to be no good, i dont find poblanos skins any different than a jalepino and i leave the skins on those as well

I've always roasted them and removed the skins.
  • TUTTLE871
    AleBrewer said:
    when i bake the  rellenos i leave the skin on, do people find the skin to be no good, i dont find poblanos skins any different than a jalepino and i leave the skins on those as well

I've always roasted them and removed the skins.
    Same here,  I dont really care for the chewy texture on the skin. Same with the Hatch Chiles always roast them.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Another vote for peeling the skin.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    ill have to try it next time, could defiatly see it served in a casserole or roasted for a dip. these were skin on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TUTTLE871
    ill have to try it next time, could defiatly see it served in a casserole or roasted for a dip. these were skin on
    This what I was going after when I made mine. These look awesome.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• All good lookin stuff.  Thanks this is Bookmarked.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Rellenos recipes look great.! I defiantly will be trying them all. I believe people remove the skins so that the flour/ batter will stay on the pepper.
  • ill have to try it next time, could defiatly see it served in a casserole or roasted for a dip. these were skin on

I'm absolutely, positively sure that I would not turn one of those away cause it had the skin on!
  •  I have been known to make Shepard's Pie Rellenos.  The family in STexas loves them.  Have also done a Relleno casserole at an Eggfest. Have also done a Relleno lasagna for my vegetarian cousin.  Poblanos are so versatile.
    Tuttle yours look very good....just might be stealing that cook and adding to my arsenal.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • TUTTLE871

Did a trial run tonight on some left over Poblanos, One Skin on and One Skin off. The Skin on had that thin layer of skin peeling off, but not a change in flavor than skin off.

But I do perfer skin off, because the texture thing.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.