Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brats

ok...so I've NEVER had a brat or served them. I bought some and plan to serve for lunch today. Please inform me on the proper way to serve. I know to grill direct, put on a roll. What condiments Thanks!!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381

I grew up with sliced onion, spicy mustard, pickles and ketchup.  But I prefer saurkraut, very thin sliced onion and spicy mustard(koops dusseldorf id my preference).

Just remember to grill them slowly turning them often, you don't want your fire too hot, leads to bursting.  I usually shoot for a dome temp of about 325-350.  Just keep at them, and keep them moving and you should do fine. 

• I would consider grilling indirect, and not par boiling. The only condiment is mustard, sour kraut, and serve on a bun.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    This is a good way.  I like to add sliced onions to the beer mixture.

Sausage, Bratwurst, Old-Fashioned Brats In Beer

Even though I prefer the grill first (15 minutes at 350) then dip, here's a dip first, then grill recipe:

Ingredients:  
    1 12 Ozs Can    Beer  
    1 8 Ozs Can    Sauerkraut -- drained  
    1/4 cup    bell pepper -- chopped  

1 tsp    caraway seed  
    4   bratwurst  
    4   Pepperidge Farm Hoagie Rolls  

Directions:
    1 In medium saucepan or skillet, combine beer and caraway seed.
    2 Prick bratwurst with fork several times; add to beer mixture.
    3 Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until bratwurst are no longer pink.
    4 Remove bratwurst from beer mixture.
    5 Add drained sauerkraut and bell pepper to beer mixture; heat until hot.
    6 When ready to cook on BGE, prepare BGE accordingly.
    7 Place bratwurst on BGE, cook at 350°, turning often until browned. Cook 4 to 6 minutes.
    8 Place buns, cut side down, on Egg. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until buns are lightly toasted. Place bratwurst in buns.
    9 Using slotted spoon, spoon sauerkraut on top of bratwurst.
    10 Enjoy.
    11 NOTES : For a richer beer flavor, use a heartier dark ale or stout.

Recipe Type
    Meat, Sandwich, Side Dish

Recipe Source

Author: Recipe By : Grilling, Picnics & Camping Cookbook by Pillsbury

Source: BGE Forum, Wise One, 2007/09/21

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167

Google brats and you will get plenty of advice-I warm them up in a pan with a beer and onions bath before they hit the BGE.  And as mentioned above when on the BGE turn frequently and don't let them burst.  Then if not ready to serve-back in the beer and onion hot tub til ready to go.  Great eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • troutgeek said:
    I would consider grilling indirect, and not par boiling. The only condiment is mustard, sour kraut, and serve on a bun.
    If you direct grill a brat it will split, there goes the fat - which is the flavor. Indirect, gentle heat to brown them, perfect. Some folks like to rinse their kraut to take some of the vinegar off it, that way the kraut does not take over the "sausage bun". 
    If we are in a hurry, I bring water to a boil, shut it off, drop in the brats for a few minutes to warm them a bit then brown on an indirect grill. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ok..thanks..I will indirect grill them after a beer bath with onions. I did read some recipes that told to do a beer bath, but was not sure if that was THE way to do it or just someone's idea..thanks for the pointers. These will be dinner tonight! Can't wait....
    Rome, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Beer bath, with kraut and onion is fantastic idea. i use this in lieu of hot water if we have the time, usually in a disposable foil 10"X10" cake pan. Brats will not brown too much so you will have to grid them if you like a little color and texture. Have an old strainer around and when the brats hit the grid for a little browning, strain and press the beer bath mixture through the strainer and discard the liquid, your topping is ready to go on the buns and it is already warmed to serving temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i like to hit mine low and slow.  about 2 hours around 225 (indirect), heavy apple smoke.  pull the plate setter and give them a char around 350 perfect.  sometimes i will slice apples onions and bell peppers with a few beers of choice and put it in a raised drip pan.  makes a great topping and throws off some sweet aromatics that coat the outside of the brats.
  • The brats were GREAT. I simmered in beer bath and onions about 10-12 min. Cooked raised direct 250-275 grid, turned every 3-5 min til nice and browned, approx 20 min. Served w/sauteed sourkraut and mustard on roll. No pics, but it did happen! I will try the low/slow next time and venture into other condiments.
    Rome, GA
  • Glad they turned out well.  That is the first way I tried mine too.

I've been on a crash course learning about brats this year and now my favorite way is cooking them direct over 300f fire, turning frequently for 15-20 minutes.  Gives the best thorough cooking, golden color, and will not split. 

I do use the beer hot tub to keep them warm after grilling if serving for a crowd. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2012
    Glad they turned out well.  That is the first way I tried mine too.

I've been on a crash course learning about brats this year and now my favorite way is cooking them direct over 300f fire, turning frequently for 15-20 minutes.  Gives the best thorough cooking, golden color, and will not split. 

I do use the beer hot tub to keep them warm after grilling if serving for a crowd. 

This is the way to do it.  For 25 years I lived in "brat country".  Trust me.  Precooking them in "juice" sucks all the flavor out of them.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Few things beat a well done beer bathed bratwurst.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I cook brats at least once a month.  I grill direct, but line them up on the edge of the grill.  I usually cook 2 packages (10 brats).  I'm a big eater.  Turn frequently.  @NibbleMeThis has it perfect.  Good luck.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!