Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie Wokker Best Practice Questions

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have several questions on how to deal with several situations that are coming up: 

1) I know wok cooking is intended to quickly cook small batches of food using high heat. The recipes in Breath of a Wok are scaled to suit 4 people as part of a multi-course meal. So what is the best way to handle serving more people than the recipe is written for?  Can I just do up a double batch and adjust the cooking times as required to suit? 

2) Speaking of multi-course meals, what is the best way to handle cooking say a meat dish, a veggie dish and a rice? We are assuming one Egg, 1 wok. Do you cook and somehow hold the rice and veggie courses while you finish up cooking the meat course? 

3) I have two areas the size of a quarter where the seasoning came off during the last cook. What is the best way to handle this? 

4) Also I have a couple areas the size of a nickel where some food burned on during the last cook. I don't want to use soap or an abrasive, so what is the best way to handle small areas of burnt on food?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Don't sweat the missing seasoning.

For the food, use oil and rock salt and a wad of pay pay towels.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jfm0830 said:
    I have several questions on how to deal with several situations that are coming up: 

1) I know wok cooking is intended to quickly cook small batches of food using high heat. The recipes in Breath of a Wok are scaled to suit 4 people as part of a multi-course meal. So what is the best way to handle serving more people than the recipe is written for?  Can I just do up a double batch and adjust the cooking times as required to suit? 

2) Speaking of multi-course meals, what is the best way to handle cooking say a meat dish, a veggie dish and a rice? We are assuming one Egg, 1 wok. Do you cook and somehow hold the rice and veggie courses while you finish up cooking the meat course? 

3) I have two areas the size of a quarter where the seasoning came off during the last cook. What is the best way to handle this? 

4) Also I have a couple areas the size of a nickel where some food burned on during the last cook. I don't want to use soap or an abrasive, so what is the best way to handle small areas of burnt on food?

Thanks in advance.
    Jim
    Just my opinions.

1) Don't double up your recipe.  If you get your wok too full, it won't retain the heat and you will be steaming your food.  Do your regular batches, then keep them hot in an oven or electric serving dish.

2) See #1

3: Don't sweat it.  Keep cooking on it.  It will reseason itself.

4) See # 3.

I made a 5 course meal for 8 people last year.  After cooking the rice, I put it in the oven, then started the second dish.  Etc.  I have a 3 pot electric serving thingie that works very well.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Agree with Travis and VI regarding the seasoning and the stuck food. I don't keep any thing warm when serving large groups, I cook, they eat. Much better in the summer, I don't use the egg to wok, as I fire up the burner and cook in front of the guests.The food just keeps hitting the table as each dish is finished. The size of the wok determines how much you can get in it without steaming everything 'cause it is overloaded. 
    If we are doing five or six different dishes for 10 people, I decide on the order and start wokking. Rice and dumplings and cold dishes can usually be done ahead and are served with the first dish. As the first dish is finished in the wok it is served, the second is ready in minutes, and served. If you have too much of one recipe to fit, do the same dish twice and space it out during the cook. If you have everything prepared, the total cook time is less than 30 minutes. Time to join your guests and eat. 
    Much different than "Let's all sit down together".  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfm0830
    Thanks for the replies. I like the parts about let the wok reseason itself.

I have a 16" wok and the recipes from Breath of a Wok do not seem to fill the wok very much, so I may try doubling one of those. I don't feel like the wok will be overcrowded, because honestly I was surprised at how little of the wok was filled with the first two dishes Ive made. There is only one way to find out-I'll just have to try a test run. It's a tough job, but someone will have to do it.
  • jfm0830 said:
    Thanks for the replies. I like the parts about let the wok reseason itself.

I have a 16" wok and the recipes from Breath of a Wok do not seem to fill the wok very much, so I may try doubling one of those. I don't feel like the wok will be overcrowded, because honestly I was surprised at how little of the wok was filled with the first two dishes Ive made. There is only one way to find out-I'll just have to try a test run. It's a tough job, but someone will have to do it.
    A full Wok with veggies, is about 1/3 up the side walls, anymore and you are making it a saucepan. For meat and veggie meals, I do the veggies first - till tender crisp, onto a plate with a cover, then do the meat. Depending on the recipe, the meat may join the veggies on the plate while the sauce is started in the wok, or the sauce is done with the meat and the veggies returned to warm before serving, still the volume is less than 1/3. IMHO - my guideline. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • +1

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• jfm0830
    Great advice! Thank you.