Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric knife

Amy recommendations for an electric knife. For slicing roasts, turkey, etc.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I can't offer any recommendations, but might I ask why you want an electric knife?
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I have had good luck filleting redfish and specks with the Mister Twister Electric Fisherman knife.  It is well regarded . It works good for slicing as well
  • I just bought the Cuisinart one that's out there for $49. It worked really well and I used the hell out of it. I bought it to slice bacon and it worked very well. We also sliced a huge ham and a huge turkey all back to back to back. It had some negative reviews out there on Amazon but they were all 3 years old or so. They were all complaining that it had a plastic gear that wore out after one use or so. I assume they may have fixed it because I used it hard and it was fine. It has a 3 year warranty and I bought it right around the corner so I felt safe giving it a try. I use them on briskets too. I'm okay with saying this one is pretty good but I only used it one day- but it was a full day. Way more than normal use. 8lbs of bacon (probably 70-80 slices) a huge ham and a huge turkey. It was smoking hot when we finally put it down.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks centex. I was looking into the cuisine art also but I wanted a second opinion from someOne on this forum who used it. I have been cooking a lot of tri tip lately and with the char on the meat, it makes it a little tough to slice the roast in unIform pieces without making my knife dull. Thanks again
  • Thanks Jeff. I am gonna have to look into his one also
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I too owned a Cuisinart knife. Two of them in fact. My second one died cutting the Thanksgiving turkey. I too saw all the comments about it being cheaply made. I don't make a habit of cutting into the bone and I treat my knives well, so I bought it. Sad to say my two Cuisinarts lasted 2 1/2 or 3 years. The two electric knives I owned before that lasted about 10 years each. I don't know what I am going to do, but I really don't want to give Cuisinart any more of my money.

As for why an electric knife? Well I have a Wustoff carving knife that costs 4x what the Cuisinart costs and frankly for many cuts the Cuisinart does a far better job. It is particularly good at cutting stuffed roasts like pinwheel roasts or matambre without tearing them apart. It excels at cutting Quesadillas perfectly. I use my carving knife to separate the breast from the turkey carcass, but switch to the electric knife to cross cut the breast meat into thin slices. I really missed it on Thursday, as the carving knife just didn't cut it so to speak.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    "As for why an electric knife?"

I've never used one. The only person I've known who used one was my mother as arthritis made using an ordinary knife difficult. Among various problems, she had trouble steering the knife as it vibrated. She went back to an ordinary chefs knife that she sharpened before each use. So I asked why.

"I have a Wustoff carving knife that costs 4x"

Even cheaper than an electric knife. Buy a snap off blade knife. Extend the blade all the way out. For meat or bread, it is strong enough. It is a huge razor, and will give the cleanest cuts. For really deep cuts, push the meat aside, and slide the blade farther into it.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    JeffM said:

I have had good luck filleting redfish and specks with the Mister Twister Electric Fisherman knife.  It is well regarded . It works good for slicing as well

I also have the Mister Twister and highly endorse it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    I've used the same Cuisinart for 8 years, but I only use it on briskets; prefer my Henckels for birds.   

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Thank you all for your feedback. I truly do appreciate it. This forum is awesome.
  • i've heard good things about the mr twister too. Just have a local shop in my hood that I know will take care of me if I need the warranty on the Cuisinart and that's what they carried. I probably would have bought the MT had they been side by side
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JeffM said:

If you use this for slicing, does it make the blade dull?
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Received a GE electric carving knife as a wedding gift 47 years ago. I only use it when slicing turkeys...perhaps 2x a year. I own various "good" knives...but for some odd reason ( sentiment, I guess ) I continue to turn to my trusty GE for my big birds. By the way..it does a great job. Go figure...
    Fairview, Texas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    nemo said:
    ...47 years ago.....for some odd reason ( sentiment, I guess ) I continue to turn to my trusty GE for my big birds. By the way..it does a great job. Go figure...
    It was built in the days where tool functionality, rather than maximized profits, were the key.
    Sadly.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    The two knives I owner that both lasted over 10 years while being used constantly were both GE's. Sadly they don't build them like they used to. 
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • pratt
    pratt Posts: 9
    I own an White Westinghouse electric knife.  My parents bought it for me about 10 years ago - I think mostly because they were out of things to buy me for xmas.  My family has always utilized the electric knife on turkey day - so there is definitely a bit of nostalgia involved - but, I will say that the knife works GREAT when carving a turkey.  Sure, so does my carving set - but the electric is faster and easier.  After using it now for 10 years, I'm very happy that my P's bought it for me!