Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick 732 ?

I have the BGE remote thermometer which I believe is same as maverick....had trouble last night b/c it would transmit temps for a short while and then remote rec'r would show dashes only. I changed batteries but it didn't help....now thermometer shows HHH as egg temp while showing a decrease in meat temp by12 degrees from a high of 185. This is my second thermometer b/c the first did not work at all. Any others have problems or solutions to share with me?

Comments

• Make sure your probes are fully inserted. Second guess is a failed probe.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Push the probes all the way in, and did you leave the probe in where it could have been subjected to high temps. like 400+  ?
  • I will get this if I use the wrong probes with my Maverick. If you are usi ng the older probes from your first one , that may be the problem as well.
  • Geez - If we could only get Thermoworks to make probes compatible with the Maverick. The Thermo 8060 is remarkable - super reliable. It does not have a wireless option and I do not think one is planned. Maverick on the other hand has great electronics (may be some issues but none I have ever heard of) and absolutely garbage probes. Every issue seems to be related to probes, and I am not talking about those trying to use them to monitor temps for pizza or clean-outs. Everyday low and slows and you will be calling for replacement probes. Mav seems to ship a replacement and advises to wrap in foil, they know they are selling junk, problem is they replace it with junk. 
    I still use it and I still curse it. Nola "the science guy" suggested using a baby monitor with my 8060. Will try that once my son digs the baby monitor out of storage....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835

I have the BGE remote thermometer which I believe is same as maverick....had trouble last night b/c it would transmit temps for a short while and then remote rec'r would show dashes only. I changed batteries but it didn't help....now thermometer shows HHH as egg temp while showing a decrease in meat temp by12 degrees from a high of 185. This is my second thermometer b/c the first did not work at all. Any others have problems or solutions to share with me?
    The HHH usually means that you got the probe too hot.  When it has happened to me, I just let the probes cool off and they were fine. I don't use my Maverick on direct high temperature cooks since it really isn't needed.  I use a Thermapen to measure meat temp during direct cooks.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • If I recall, the probes on a Mav are RTD thermisters which are much more vulnerable to damage from H2O or high temps.  The probes that Thermoworks uses are type K thermocouples which are not indestructible, but do survive much better.  Someone on this site suggested placing a baby monitor next to the 8060 as a way of remoting the alarm. Excellent idea.   I have seen something about a transmitting type unit on the web from the British alter ego of Thermoworks, but no real info as yet.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • @bettysnephew - it was Nola who suggested the monitor. see the last sentence of my post three above here. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I've had my fill with maverick. Thermoworks does have a remote reader but you'll pay. If I take the plunge I'll make some notes. I'm considering going probe free.
  • TonyA said:
    I've had my fill with maverick. Thermoworks does have a remote reader but you'll pay. If I take the plunge I'll make some notes. I'm considering going probe free.
    If you have a chance, do you have a link for Thermo remote reader? Given I paid $80 for a Thermapen. $150 is nothing for a Maverick equivalent that works....
  • TonyA
    I take it back .. that's not a transmitter
  • TonyA
    Sorry.. I'm sure I just got a lot of people excited.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Posts: 174
    TonyA said:
    I've had my fill with maverick.
    Yep.  I'll never waste my $$ on a Maverick product again.   Gotta hope Thermoworks will decide theres a market for a 732 like unit with a retail of $200 or less.  I'd pay it.  
  • Found a bit of info on the Blue Therm Duo made by ETI, a British concern that manufactures the Thermoworks products that are distributed in the USA.  It is bluetooth, so range will be somewhat limited, but the baby monitor trick would be possible here also to get the signal inside the house if needed or hopefully your house isn't as spread out as mine (bedroom on faaaar side of house from deck).  Here is the discussion link:

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Definitely do not mix-and-match the probes from your old Maverick with your new Mavrick. If your old Maverick was not an ET 732, the probes are only rated for 400°. One of the improvements they made with the ET 732 was both probes are now rated for 700°. Some people also wrap the braided portion of the probe wires with aluminum foil to try and help protect them. I had the old ET 73 and I find the new ET 732 to be a little fussier in terms of the probe wire being plugged in correctly. You really need to push them in all the way to get the right reading.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.