Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trim the fat on a Costco butt?

Options
P_Hop
P_Hop Posts: 5
Looking to pick up a package of Boston Butts from Costco to cook for Thanksgiving.  I have used the ones from Costco before and they turned out great but they seem to have a large amount of fat on the top that did not create as much bark as I would have thought. I ended up cutting a good part of the top off when it was complete.  Do I cut out some of the fat prior to cooking or leave well enough alone an trim as needed at the end?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    I trim all visible surface fat.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• JayHawkEye
    Options
    I would rather trim before and enjoy the bark/not waste rub on the fat. There is plenty of fat inside the butt to keep things moist.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    Remove fat for better bark. Its the rub and smoke that cause the bark, not fat...it melts and washes the rub (bark) away with it.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I trim before the cook, and yes there seems to be more fat of late on the Costco butts. Trimmed a good 4 to 5 oz of fat off the last 6# butt, the dog was very happy, she likes it nuked for about 2 minutes in 8 oz of tap water, served over Kirkland kibble. Darn near licked the bottom out of her dish.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Fill a small tin pan, like a loaf pan with "Old Glory" turnip greens. Place fat on top. Leave uncovered to retain smokey flavor and then cover.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    I used to leave the Costco butts as I go them and realized I was throwing away a lot of the flavorful bark. The last 4 I cooked, I trimmed as much of the fat as I could, pretty much all of it on the cap, rubbed it and did the usual low and slow with much better results bark wise, the pork was still plenty moist as well. I don't cook them without trimming the fat anymore.

• Mavs757mx
    Options
    I trim as well and find if I rub the butt down with yellow mustard and then work my rub in. The bark results are amazing!
    Large BGE and Weber Summit 670 on the weekend.  Blowing smoke out of the jet engines during the week!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options
    Trim.
    Cookin in Texas