Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for advice for those that cook entire meals on one egg.

Options
I have an XL Egg and up to this point I'll make the main dish (meat) on the egg and everything else in the kitchen.  I'm looking to do the sides on the Egg as well.  So this Sunday, I plan on doing a couple slabs of baby back ribs, a cast iron skillet of baked mac'n cheese or bbq green beans and another cast iron skillet of cornbread.

I guess my question that I'm looking to verify is this, the ribs will probably be 5 hours at 250.  The cornbread calls for 20 minutes at 350, and probably around the same for the man'n cheese.

Is it as simple as cooking the ribs then tenting and holding while the other two cook?  I can do a tiered setup, but that doesn't help with different temp cooks.  Guess this is as good as a reason as any to get another egg.

Do most of you cook the ribs, then cook the side dishes afterwards?  Just trying to schedule and stage my weekend cook.  TIA.
Steve 
XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I do pretty much the same cook all the time.

I usually split the difference on cook temp and then I only have to time it right.

Ribs I like at 300 but my cornbread calls for 415.

I would cook both at 375 and just wing it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • smokinsooner
    Options

I do cooks like that all the time. Pull the ribs... open up the vents. you can go from 250 to 350 in the time it takes to tent the ribs...and open a beer. I usually have mac -n-chz ready to go in a dutch oven... or bbq beans... or any other side... baked apples, peaches and praline... whatever.

You can even throw some foil on a raised grid and put some onion rings on top, with another side on the bottom.

Tenting the ribs for 30 minutes isn't bad... they will remain hot and moist for much longer than that.

BOOMER!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I have an XL Egg and up to this point I'll make the main dish (meat) on the egg and everything else in the kitchen.  I'm looking to do the sides on the Egg as well.  So this Sunday, I plan on doing a couple slabs of baby back ribs, a cast iron skillet of baked mac'n cheese or bbq green beans and another cast iron skillet of cornbread.

I guess my question that I'm looking to verify is this, the ribs will probably be 5 hours at 250.  The cornbread calls for 20 minutes at 350, and probably around the same for the man'n cheese.

Is it as simple as cooking the ribs then tenting and holding while the other two cook?  I can do a tiered setup, but that doesn't help with different temp cooks.  Guess this is as good as a reason as any to get another egg.

Do most of you cook the ribs, then cook the side dishes afterwards?  Just trying to schedule and stage my weekend cook.  TIA.
    If you give the ribs say 2 1/2 hours at 250,  remove and foil, raise the temp and do your sides and throw the ribs on for a while at whatever temp, pull the sides and the ribs and lower the temp and put the ribs back on unfoiled to finish around 300* you should be golden.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Baysidebob
    Options
    Use another grill.  I have a Lodge Sportsman and a Weber that come to the rescue for sides.  Anything that keeps you out of the kitchen and near the beer cooler is good.  The cool thing about running two at once is you're to busy to be bothered.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • miscjames
    Options
    @YEM

Something else you ca do is plan a cook were everything cooks around the same temp.and time. Such as spatchcock chicken, smoke cabbage, and sweet potatoes, Then you can toss on some asparagus and pineapple at the end. All of that you can cook ~350. 

If I was doing your cook i would cook the ribs FTC em. Then cook everything else. Those ribs should hold for a few hours that way. 
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I agree, FTC the ribs.  I have smoked ribs then pulled them and FTC.  Then drove to my parents with them and they stayed there for about an hour before we opened them up.  They were still to hot to handle with bare hands.  I would say they were in the cooler for about 2 hours.  Came out great by the way. 

I have done as you outlined with no issues.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I agree, FTC the ribs.  I have smoked ribs then pulled them and FTC.  Then drove to my parents with them and they stayed there for about an hour before we opened them up.  They were still to hot to handle with bare hands.  I would say they were in the cooler for about 2 hours.  Came out great by the way. 

I have done as you outlined with no issues.
    This is the ticket for those of us, mostly me, who can only operate in "serial", I have no multi-tasking ability, or so SWMBO says.
    FTC the ribs and then cook the rest, only one thing to watch at a time.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!