Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking A 13lb turkey help.

I know there are a lot of post about this, but I have young kids and am very busy I don't have time to look at them all.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would direct me how to smoke my 13lb butter ball turkey. What chips, temp, how long? spices ect? I don't have the plate setter but I have a weber grate elevated w/ fire bricks. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    250, fruit chips/chunks go light on them (apple cherry pecan etc...), white breat to 160 degrees and you are golden.
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Spices are up to you, can use a rub
  • I am by no means an expert, but from what I have learned and attempted.  It seems like the overall majority thinks if you are doing direct cooking you should spatchcock your turkey and lay it flat.

Temp anywhere from 325-350 Dome and make sure the grid is raised above the felt line.

As far as seasoning, think you can do anything you want based on family's taste buds, anything as simple as salt and pepper or a pre-made rub from a store or combo from your spice cabinet, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano are kind of your basic TDay spices IMO.

I prefer the MadMax method, taking very soft (not melted) butter mixed with some of the same herbs above and rub it all over the skin before it goes on.

If you keep the bird whole, stuff it with aromatics, same spices, orange, apple, carrot, onion.

Cook to 160-165 breast and 180 Thigh  If you keep the bird whole I also like Mad Max method to put a bag of ice over the breast meat after the entire bird has come up to room temp, that allows the breast and thigh to come up to temp together and be done at the same time.

Like I said these are the basics and sure you will get more input from others, you can do a search over on the right hand side of website.

Good luck and be sure to take pics to show it off and to ask questions if you need.

How did I do NOLA, DOC, Little Steven???  (my un-official mentors/BGE experts)
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • I am by no means an expert, but from what I have learned and attempted.  It seems like the overall majority thinks if you are doing direct cooking you should spatchcock your turkey and lay it flat.

Temp anywhere from 325-350 Dome and make sure the grid is raised above the felt line.

As far as seasoning, think you can do anything you want based on family's taste buds, anything as simple as salt and pepper or a pre-made rub from a store or combo from your spice cabinet, Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano are kind of your basic TDay spices IMO.

I prefer the MadMax method, taking very soft (not melted) butter mixed with some of the same herbs above and rub it all over the skin before it goes on.

If you keep the bird whole, stuff it with aromatics, same spices, orange, apple, carrot, onion.

Cook to 160-165 breast and 180 Thigh  If you keep the bird whole I also like Mad Max method to put a bag of ice over the breast meat after the entire bird has come up to room temp, that allows the breast and thigh to come up to temp together and be done at the same time.

Like I said these are the basics and sure you will get more input from others, you can do a search over on the right hand side of website.

Good luck and be sure to take pics to show it off and to ask questions if you need.

How did I do NOLA, DOC, Little Steven???  (my un-official mentors/BGE experts)
    Great advice and I'd add, I smoked a turkey once (smoke wood) and I will never do it again. Turkey does not need smoke if you use the rubs and aromatics noted above. I part out or spatch, using indirect, a little more idiot proof than a direct cook, IMHO.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • With a 13 lb turkey, spatchcocked 325-350 indirect. how much time on the grill about?
  • will a 13lb turkey be too big if it is spatchcocked on a large egg?
  • jimbo83 said:
    will a 13lb turkey be too big if it is spatchcocked on a large egg?

That's about the right size. You'll be okay.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited November 2012
    @jimbo83-the 13# turkey, spatchcocked, will fit fine on the LBGE.  I can get about a 16# to fit w/o having to get creative, FYI.  WRT cook times-I see about 2.5 hrs for a 15# bird indirect at about 350*F +/- on the dome.  YMMV- Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Good advice above.

Everyone has different tastes and I love smoked food, but cooking for a big group of people it's wise to be more on the subtle side with smoke. 

If you do add wood, the fruit tree woods impart a sweeter, almost incense-like flavor that may have more mass-appeal than pecan or oak on a delicate, neutral meat like turkey. 

I did a test turkey last week and didn't use any smoke, and I think it make the aromatics from the brine shone through better, and it still had that "cooked over wood" smell and taste.