Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Damper Top...

coastalegg
coastalegg Posts: 22
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
I bought a large BGE last December. I was recently told by a friend that has one that the egg should have come with a ceramic damper top along with the daisy wheel. Can others confirm this is the case? I couldn't confirm on the the product pages that it should come with it but if most did get it free of charge I will make a bigger issue at the dealer where I purchased the egg. Thanks!

Comments

• Mine was included.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Included

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I know they were doing away with the ceramic feet, but both of my eggs had the DFMT and Rain cap.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mine came with the Ceramic Top. 
  • Call them and complain about it, and either make them bring it to your house, or tell them you want a bag of wood chips or something for the inconvenience. Hell, if it is a really far drive, tell them you want a bag of lump. Remember, if it is a new egg, you have the power of the return until the time passes.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41

Yes, you should have a ceramic top.  Check out the 2012 online manual on biggreenegg.com, page 3, unpacking the egg and you’ll see  the “The large box contains: ceramic base, dome, fire box, fire ring and ceramic damper top.”   Did you get your egg preassembled?  I had the same issue.  The delivery guys just forgot it.  The dealer was great and provided me with one on the spot.

• Thanks guy's. I did by it preassembled so maybe there's a extra ceramic damper lying around even though it's been a year.
  • I suppose that throws the return policy play out the window lol.

• yup on the return.... if I can't get the local dealer to give it to me I guess I can take it up with corporate. Their customer service has been very good!

• Yes, they are, and I don't think you will have a problem at the dealer. If they remember/know you, you certainly will not. My dealer is really cool. I referred a friend to them to get an egg and they gave me 5 bags of lump and some DP rub.

• Hope your dealer helps you out. The question is have you been covering your egg when not in use? The DFMT is not rain proof. Also the ceramic top does a better job of snuffing out the fire, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hey guys... dealer gave me a top no problem! Whew. Being that it was a year ago thought they would give me trouble but no problems.
  • Hey guys... dealer gave me a top no problem! Whew. Being that it was a year ago thought they would give me trouble but no problems.
    I love happy endings.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

I don't understand why anyone would need a ceramic top. I have three in my island that have not seen the light of day in years. I've cooked on kamados for 30 yrs and don't see the use for one. I don't use the "pinwheel" portion of my lid either, I feel it's a gimmick. I get better control with the slider portion and never use the pinwheel. I'll guarantee that mine is waterproof. I've cooked on it enough that you would need a prybar to remove the cast iron lid. By constantly removing the DFMT and exchanging it with the ceramic you're not allowing the DFMT to seal. Here's a a little history  lesson: In the olden days before there were cast iron slider tops there were only ceramic lids. The trick to controlling the temp was you angled the lid to change the air flow. This really sucked when you had a few beers, went out and opened the lid to check on things, and the lid ended up on the ground! The Imperial Kamados then came out with a cast iron slider only, no pinwheel, lid. This was an upgrade accessory. There were some lids that were pinwheel only, no slider, that really sucked. They wouldn't allow enough air in when you needed it. IMO use the DFMT and don't remove it and use the ceramic lid as a paper weight! 

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • td66snrf said:

I don't understand why anyone would need a ceramic top. I have three in my island that have not seen the light of day in years. I've cooked on kamados for 30 yrs and don't see the use for one. I don't use the "pinwheel" portion of my lid either, I feel it's a gimmick. I get better control with the slider portion and never use the pinwheel. I'll guarantee that mine is waterproof. I've cooked on it enough that you would need a prybar to remove the cast iron lid. By constantly removing the DFMT and exchanging it with the ceramic you're not allowing the DFMT to seal. Here's a a little history  lesson: In the olden days before there were cast iron slider tops there were only ceramic lids. The trick to controlling the temp was you angled the lid to change the air flow. This really sucked when you had a few beers, went out and opened the lid to check on things, and the lid ended up on the ground! The Imperial Kamados then came out with a cast iron slider only, no pinwheel, lid. This was an upgrade accessory. There were some lids that were pinwheel only, no slider, that really sucked. They wouldn't allow enough air in when you needed it. IMO use the DFMT and don't remove it and use the ceramic lid as a paper weight! 

.....I use the ceramic top to put the fire out when I am done.....
    LBGE