Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mule Deer on the BGE

My cousin just came back from a hunt in Colorado with a mule deer and an elk. He shot the deer the last day right before they left so he just had them quarter and debone it, pack it in ice and drove back to Ga. He brought me over what looks like a shoulder and whole tenderloin tonight and wants me to try them on the egg.

I was thinking about cutting the tenderloin into about 1-1/2" pieces and wrapping them in bacon. On what we think is a shoulder, I was thinking about just a slow and low smoke. I'm guessing there is about 20 pounds of meat total in the cooler, so there's a lot to play with.

What are some of y'alls favorite ways to cook deer on the egg?

Comments

• Bump, so you can get some responses. I've never had mule deer.
    Boom
  • mgw619
    mgw619 Posts: 10
    Venison never seems to do well with a low and slow, I have heard of someone trying to smoke a whole quarter who said they place a Boston butt on top of it for the entire smoke and it turned out well. I guess the theory is that the fat and juices from the pork drip down and keep the quarter moist. Never tried it though so I can't speak from experience. Might be worth a try
    Evans, GA - 250 Reverse Flow (trailer), Large BGE, custom built cedar table (by me). When in doubt, smoke it.
  • Cook it the same way you'd cook a White Tail.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Cook it the same way you'd cook a White Tail.
    Please elaborate
  • Just finished eating and it could not have been better.

Removed all silver skin, brushed on EVOO, salt, cracked black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder, wrapped in thick cut bacon.

Stabilized egg at 350 with plate setter and a drip pan with some water inside. Added a few apple chunks and cooked indirect until center was at 145 with a Thermapen.

Pulled and let set for about 5 minutes before cutting. Very juicy, tender and no wild taste at all.

I have another 40 pounds in the freezer, so this will go into the weekly rotation for a while.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited November 2012
    I have gotten up at 4 am day after day, for days at a time, for the last four years.  Put on stinky clothes, walked out into the woods, in the dark, in my clunky snake boots and sat on an uncomfortable stool for hours and hours in a hot little tent.  I shivered in the morning and baked in the afternoon.

What's a deer?

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have gotten up at 4 am day after day, for days at a time, for the last four years.  Put on stinky clothes, walked out into the woods, in the dark, in my clunky snake boots and sat on an uncomfortable stool for hours and hours in a hot little tent.  I shivered in the morning and baked in the afternoon.

What's a deer?
    LOL...this thing was delivered to me in a 58 quart cooler packed with ice. I haven't seen a live one in the woods in a very long time.
  • Sounds like you might know what I'm talking about, anyway
    >:D<

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I with you @doc. I typically see more deer driving 55mph with both headlights on honking the horn than when I'm in the woods covered in doe piss with the latest and greatest hunting gear.