Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT but I need help

I'm buying a 5th wheel camper when I go to Florida for xmass. It's about time to buy new shocks for my half ton Chevy so I'd like to do it before I drive the camper back to Texas.

My question is, does anyone know of some aftermarket shocks that will improve my ability to tow stuff?

I asked on a rv forum but no response. What a joke. I'm sure ill get better help on this egg forum.
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• Bilstein are really good ones. I know that for sure.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive always put coilovers in front and airs in the back of every vehicle ive owned, people will frown on the air shocks. my truck is 24 years old, its been that long since ive bought shocks but then it was gabriels and monroes. if i was pulling a fifthwheeler i would go to a spring shop and see if i could getr an extra spring or two with a half ton
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The springs and shocks are not your problem. Not driving a Ford is where the true prolem is.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited November 2012

The springs and shocks are not your problem. Not driving a Ford is where the true prolem is.

That's it, them's is fighting words!

I pull my 28ft bumper pull camper all the time with no issue at 70 mph. I just want to upgrade while I'm replacing.
  • This looks like it may provide you with some good information and best of all it is free.

http://blog.hensleymfg.com/Air-Ride-5th-Wheel-Hitch-Report/?gclid=CO2dwavS0bMCFZGPPAodGTIAaw
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Travis needs help....mental help...  =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Travis, good call on replacing those shocks. Not sure what your route is, but if memory serves me, the interstates across those southern states are horrible and your gonna be "trampolining" a lot on the way back. I was a Class A RVer, so I never towed a 5th wheel, but I know at least on Class A's, I always used Bilstein. They are very popular among RVers.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Be sure the new shocks don't affect the hydraulics on your front suspension for bouncing your lowrider.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Be sure the new shocks don't affect the hydraulics on your front suspension for bouncing your lowrider.
    HAHAHHAHAHAQHAHAAHAHHAHAa
    =))

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• The springs and shocks are not your problem. Not driving a Ford is where the true prolem is.
    +1 :)

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The springs and shocks are not your problem. Not driving a Ford is where the true prolem is.
    Sweet, one of these! I brought popcorn!

Not quite. I can make an argument for each of the big 3. Just personal preference. Thanks though ;)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you have a lot of tongue weight (or bed weight from the 3rd wheel), your back axle springs will be compressed and you'll have less suspension travel to absorb big bumps.  If you're bottoming out your suspension, you'd benefit from air shocks or an air lift, (or heavier springs at the expense of your unladen ride quality).

• nolaegghead
    If the amount of compression is acceptable with your load (and there are specs you can look up for this), then you can just put in some heavy duty shocks - they'll help from bottoming out because they'll damper the spring rate more than stock shocks.
    edited November 2012

Not quite. I can make an argument for each of the big 3. Just personal preference. Thanks though ;)
    No worries. I was just reminiscing of the good ol' days from a few months ago about iOS vs Android(or whatever) usual troll-driven flame-outs.

Some of my favorite truck pissing contests:

• I love it. I got some quality info AND some humor.

Thanks folks.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Firestone air bags. I put a set of these on and they really help.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688

travisstrick

I forgot to tell you that if you need any help with other questions just let me know. I have been pulling a 40ft fith wheel around for years.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    all i know is that ford and chevy people get real quiet when your pulling them out of the mud with your toy truck
    :))

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Don't listen those Ford whiners, I understand what it is like being the proud owner of a 1977 Scottsdale C10 short box. 

What model is the fiver and what are the GVW rates on it and your truck? Without that info, everything is just a SWAG. 

Bilsteins and Gabriels are good, no experience with Monroe on the truck. IMHO, No shock upgrade, helper springs or airbags are designed to overcome the basic flaw of an overwhelmed tow vehicle. No issue that most mills will move the trailer just fine, the issue is safe handling (correct weight distribution on suitable suspension) and getting the rig stopped with the hitch load on the bed. 

Maybe I over react, being that all the towing I've done was always through the Cascades and Rockies, not much experience on a flat super slab. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Get a Chevy. You'll boost the economy with your repairs and tow bills. Come on, do your part. Plus if you don't...my tax dollars will go to bail them out again.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    henapple said:
    Get a Chevy. You'll boost the economy with your repairs and tow bills. Come on, do your part. Plus if you don't...my tax dollars will go to bail them out again.
    Sheesh.  Everyone knows that FORD stands for Fix or Repair Daily

And for those of you using their marine products:  Found on River Drifting.  :ar!
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • henapple said:
    I have never had a major crush on any of the big 3 but I will not be buying chevy again for that reason. 
  • Well, my NIKON can take better pictures of your truck than your lousy CANON !!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    OH YEAAAHH?!  My Mac posts better comments than your lousy Windows!!!!
    http://www.deaverspring.com/products/leafsgm.html not sure if these will help for what your looking for but they are one one of the best out on the market.  Just check with them to make sure your load # is what you need.  These coupled with some decent shocks will work great 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Travis I'm glad you came to this fourm for your R V info. God this is some good laughs. I'm going to go change my depends now and come back and read it again, especially the one from VI
  • henapple said:
    Never bailed out my Chevy, it was made in 1977, when men were men and trucks were made of US steel and no computer controlled mind reading doo-hickeys or something like that. 260,000 miles and rebuilt in the garage at 150,000, plan on getting another 20 years out of her, unless we run out of fossil fuels first I guess. 

Travis, next time you have an OT question please give me advance notice, I want to watch the train wreck unfold.... Took too long to read all this stuff to catch up. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.