Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking pork loins

Options

I have been using my egg for 7 years. i am satisfied with everything that i cook or smoke on the egg except pork loins either boneless or bone-in, they never come out tender, always tough. I have brined them and even soaked them in buttermilk and still no luck. I was told by a friend that i needed to inject them with the brine and then cover them with the brine for several days. I have purchased smoked chops from a local grocery store and they are very tender with a nice pink color to them and very tasty. Any ideas to get good tender pork loins would be appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What temp are you cooking to? There is very little internal fat, so not much wiggle room with over-shooting.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

I always brine and cook to 140 IT. They are pink and moist. Here's a plum sauce we use.

Perfect Plum Sauce<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

1 can 16 oz. purple plums, pitted and pureed

2 Tbl. butter

1 small onion diced

1/3 cup brown sugar

¼ cup chili sauce

2 Tbl. soy sauce

2 tsp. lemon juice

1 tsp ground ginger

Saute onion in butter until clear, 4-5 minutes

Mix pureed plums and all ingredients together, add to the onion and bring to a boil, simmer 25 to 30 minutes.

It will thicken and become a beautiful red color

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    this is something i did with one a few months back, very tender and moist. i stabbed the loin a hundred times with a wide blade chef knife thru to the cutting board, flipped it and stabbed it again. then marinated it in oil/limes/garlic, not just marinade it but pressed the marinade into alll the holes. i think the limes helped to break it down and the oil acted as a fat inside the loin as it cooked. i did it direct over a hot fire continuously rotating as it caramelized until about 142 which really is overcooking, rest it on a rack, not on a cold plate that sucks the juices out

stuffing with wet things helps as well. not a fan of all the frut/jam nut fillings, but do like a bread stuffing, this one has a turkey stuffing some cooked chourico meat, onions and sauted cellery, and bread stuffing, roasted in a pan with chicken stock added to collect the drippings for gravy.
    these are tougher for getting them tender and off the grill ontime but the added moisture makes up for that

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Fishlessman, both of those look absolutely fantastic. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited November 2012
    Options
    fishlessman --- that's gorgeous! :)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • SmokingOzarksBBQ
    Options
    I inject mine with various mixes of apple cider vinegar, balsamic, pepper, spices, etc. Whatever you like. Then i do mine on indirect at 300 dome with hickory until they reach internal at 140. Then pull and let rest until juices redistribute which is about 15 min. Mine have been so moist every single time. Next time I do it I will pull them at 130 and finish off with direct flame to char it up a bit.