Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket Flat...need help

Options
I am going to do my first brisket flat this weekend. I want to experiment with a flat before cooking a whole one. Plus I don't have a need for that much meat this weekend. I have never done one and I'm looking for suggestions on cooking time, type of wood, do you pan it at a certain temp (like a butt), ect. ect. I haven't purchased it yet. Therefore, I'm not including a weight. Don't assume I know anything...because I don't. Thanks in advance!!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    Cook at 300 dome. Expect 1.5hr per pound. I like mesquite wood. Choose any rub you like, more is better than less. 

Its that simple. 

Post Script, Cooking a flat will in no way resemble cooking a whole packer. They are apples and grapes. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Thanks Travis. What internal temp am I looking for?
  • travisstrick
    Options
    195'ish. You are looking for a texture and tenderness, not temp. Start checking at 190, a thermo probe or fork should slide in like buttah when its done. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Snausages01
    Snausages01 Posts: 5
    edited November 2012
    Options

I just did my first one two weeks ago and it was excellent.  I used the Jack Daniels oak; it was the only oak I could find.  I layered it throughout and then on top.  I cooked at about 250 and 1.75 hours per pound for ~6.5 pounder.  Pulled it off when it was tender (somewhere over 195).

I used this recipe with no mustard or injection:

1 cup coarse sea or kosher salt
    ¼ cup granulated garlic
    ¼ cup granulated onion
    1/8 cup ground thyme
    1/8 cup ground bay
    1/8 cup black pepper
    1/8 cup celery seed
    1/8 cup Hungarian paprika
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

I'd probably use about half the amount of salt and use a finer grind on my next cook.  I am not a big salt fan it found it a little over powering on the smaller end pieces; on the large pieces it was great.

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    275 - 300 Dome, cook to 195-200 IT, I like hickory or oak for brisket. Just doing a flat keep it simple. Be prepared for the stall. You can wrap it with some beef broth or not.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • JayHawkEye
    Options
    Try to get the thickest flat you can find. The real thin ones don't cook anything like a "normal" brisket (and I find them easy to dry out). On the flipside, I've gotten some extra thick flats at Sam's that were like cooking a packer. And something to keep in mind when talking temps: Lower is slower, but not necessarily better.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    B&Q, there are lots of threads for brisket with many different cooking methods and varieties.  If you are just cooking a flat, buy the one that bends the most.  It's a head start on a tender cut of meat.

Regardless of temp and time you ultimately decide on, the rule of thumb is "it's done when it's done."  Travis is spot on - flats are different than whole briskets.  And, flats are different than other flats.  Once the internal temp hits around 190 - 195, start poking and twisting.  Don't get nervous and pull it off early. 

Personally, I love brisket that has a nice layer of mustard and rub on it.  Creates a wonderful bark!

Have fun, and be sure to post a follow up pic or two.  Would like to hear how it turns out.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Thanks Don!  Will do.