Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not Eggin' yet...but...

Hi all, first post here.  Been lookin' to start eggin' and the local retailer is "offering" a 10% discount for their floor models, already assembled of course.  For example, they're retailing a LBGE for 819, so new price would be 738.  They also have XL, M, S, Mini eggs at 10% off.  

Thoughts on this?  Is it my time??

Stuart
Burlington/Alamance County, NC

Comments

• Yep, it's time!  If BGE's get discounted, it's always in the late fall/ winter months.  My dealer does 20%, so check around.  Apparently, 20% still gives them a profit.  What size(s) are you looking at?  Lots of folks (including me) have a large or XL and a Mini also.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Yep It is time, just think if you don't do it now, when you finally do buy one, you will kick yourself for not making the purchase sooner. Jump on in, the water is fine. ;) There is a wealth of info here and you won't regret having this type of grill.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    It's definitely your time to sink your teeth into one. Any discount is a good discount.  And, after you enjoy your first egg'ed meal, you will wonder why you waited.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I ordered my demo in February/March and had to wait til August to pick it up. It was excruciating waiting for it.  I would've rather paid full price and had it in February.

If you're getting 10% off, buy now and don't look back.  The time lost isn't worth saving a few bucks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Do it now, and if you can swing it get a XL. I wish I would ahve found out about the egg 20 years ago.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    One hint: when you get it home, before using it watch the assembly video and then go over the whole thing very carefully, making sure all the bolts are tight and all parts are there.  
    I bought a pre-assembled one, and lifting it out of the truck the bottom slipped out of the band, thank goodness it landed on the tailgate and not the driveway.  Several loose and one missing bolts in the Nest, and mine was also missing two parts.  
    Hopefully your dealership is more competent, but it doesn't hurt to check!  

Good luck and Welcome!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Ellis said:
     if you can swing it get a XL. 

Actually, it depends on how many you intend to cook for.  For us, it's just me and my wife, and very seldom do we have more than 4 people.  The large is perfect for us.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    V I same here just the wife and I, Hope to get a small soon. But when the kids and grand kids come over that extra space is nice.
  • Sounds really good from here! They are trying to spill inventory before winter. I would offer to meet their price and they throw in a platesetter and a pizza stone. I believe the margins are higher on accessories.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Go for it. My dealer never discounts them. He doesn't have to. They sell all year round.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Awesome pic! Go Mountaineers!

There are 5 of us on this forum that I know of. Welcome aboard.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • No better time than now! GET IN THE GAME... Lrg or XL will make you happy
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • No sense to wait, you'll not get a better deal with a warranty.  One cook and you'll be hooked.  Welcome aboard.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Do it....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120

Jump in and don't look back...  You won't regret it.

Signal Mountain, TN
  • Don't look at the price look at the value in the product.  I bought my LGE in 2008 for about $625 and now they are going for $700 to as high as $825.  So wait and pay more.  I also purchased a mini this year best decision I ever made.  I wasn't happy paying $325 for it, I think reasonable they should be priced around $200 or $250, but thats the price you pay for quality and popularity.  Good Luck and have fun when ya get it.  

Doug

LG, MiniMax BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2012
    Don't do it!!   You'll end up saving money if you eat out a lot, but if you buy an egg, you'll be eating such delicious food, you'll have people coming over to your house constantly. Unwanted freeloader friends, and who wants that kind of popularity.  Also, you'll be cooking delicious foods, eating said foods, and you'll gain weight.  Extra friends, extra weight.  Double bummer.  Don't do it.

Just stick with cooking mediocre stuff on a K-mart blue plate special gas grill - you'll have less friends, sure, but you'll also be supporting the TV dinner industry.
    Do it. As for size, how many are you cooking for?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Just do it, you won't regret it! When I got mine I was quite surprised to find with the lower charcoal usage, just how much I was saving each year on charcoal vs my smoker. The total cost of ownership of the Egg is actually less than a lot of grills. Also sure you may save 50 or 100 bucks at some other time, but if you have the egg for 20 years that doesn't add up to a whole lot over time.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2012
    His cost is around $540.00, offer him something that gives him a small profit, say $625-$650. All he can say is no. Then pay what he wants and start cooking. Definitly check everything out with the assembly, I know how things are put together by employees.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • OK, I stopped by the dealer today, but they had closed ("Fall hours").  I'll be able to swing by tomorrow to find out what kind of deal we can work out.  

I am usually cooking for three, but several times a year I'll be cooking for 10-20 folks.  I'm leaning towards the LBGE although I had originally thought I may end up with an XL first...

Let's see what happens tomorrow when I can get back to the dealer!  

Stuart
  • For heaven's sake quit talking and go shopping! 10% or 20% discount is irrelevant when you consider that over the lifetime of this "obsession" you will spend at least another $2000 on goodies (tables, starters, pans, rigs, woos etc...) and probably $6000 on charcoal, $4000 on rubs and sauces and we haven't even started on the meat you probably would have never bought if you didn't have it, What the heck is another $100 on the initial "investment"? 

Look forward to your cook pics, and Welcome to the zoo.......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    DO IT!  you will be so happy you did. As for size  XL.
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Done! Just came home with a Large! Pics to follow...
    Stuart

Where are you located AppState? 

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Congrats and fire it up this weekend and take pics!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

Atta boy, or gal..... Well done, welcome to the zoo. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • It ain't done till we see the pictures. Congratulations you'll love it
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Thanks for the input all.  

Atta boy, it is.  haha

I'm in Burlington/Alamance County...about 2hrs from Boone where I attended college.  

Cell phone pic here as my new Egg arrived home...
    Stuart
  • Welcome , you will enjoy it more than you ever imagined !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO