Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is your drip pan set up on Indirect Heat?

Another newbie question to the BGE.  

I just smoked my first Butt on the BGE and wrapped my plate setter with foil to keep clean up a little easier.  I don't think this was a good idea as I smoked with the fat cap down and the foil was caked with burnt extras from the drip.

What is your optimal drip pan set up?

Cheers!

Comments

• I use a pizza pan covered with foil.......same pan for the last 3 years
  • I put my drip pan on two strips of scrap ceramic tile (3/8"X1"X8") on the setter for shorter indirect cooks, and on four foil balls for longer cooks. 
    The key is to get the drip pan up off the setter with an air gap so the pan does not get too hot. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  •  
    The key is to get the drip pan up off the setter with an air gap so the pan does not get too hot. 

Agreed.  I use foil balls on platesetter and drip pan on the foil balls.  If I expect a lot of drippings, I may put a small amount of water in the drip pan to ensure the drippings don't burn and taint the cook.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    I also use 3 tiles between the DP and the PS
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    I actually use a v-rack set in the drip pan to keep the meat up and out of the drippings and let the smoke get to all sides. I am still working on what to set the drip pan on on the plate setter.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • seadub
    seadub Posts: 20
    all good info.  I'm guessing the foil balls are around the size of a golf ball?  maybe a little smaller?

I do like the pizza pan idea because it would not be too deep.
  • I kept 3 of the short cans tuna comes in.  I use those to elevate my drip pan.  I use disposable aluminum pans bought at Sam's Club.  Can get a bunch of them for cheap.  Generally I don't put any liquid in the drip pan because if it makes any difference I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to distinguish it.
  • probe1957 said:
    I kept 3 of the short cans tuna comes in.  I use those to elevate my drip pan.  I use disposable aluminum pans bought at Sam's Club.  Can get a bunch of them for cheap.  Generally I don't put any liquid in the drip pan because if it makes any difference I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to distinguish it.
    I had three 1/2" copper tees lying around I use and I also have the ceramic feet that came with the Egg.  I never thought about tuna cans.  I use disposable pans when possible or wrap one of Wilma's in foil in a pinch.  No liquid for me either as I think it adds nothing to the party.
    Flint, Michigan
  • seadub said:
    all good info.  I'm guessing the foil balls are around the size of a golf ball?  maybe a little smaller?

I do like the pizza pan idea because it would not be too deep.
    Perfect, depends on your drip pan depth, 1" or less foil ball works well for the pizza pan. In my MBGE have a 12" dollar store pizza pan that is just a little larger than the center part of the plate setter, when foiled it works well, but sometimes can be overwhelmed by drippings and certainly is harder to add water to as it is so shallow.

@jfm0830, assume your pan and rack are sitting on the cooking grid. I found the smoke did a better job if I put the meat on the grid and the drip pan under the grid on the setter or AR as appropriate. In other words, make sure the sides of the pan are lower than the bottom of the meat rack. Might be all in my imagination...... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    I bought a 15" round cake pan, line it with foil and set it on some stainless steel nuts I had laying around.
  • I just make a new one with heavy duty foil for each cook, then just throw it away.
    Edina, MN

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I've used stainless steel nuts and copper tees based on info I got from this group and they work great.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• seadub
    seadub Posts: 20
    I like the stainless steel nut idea.  Good stuff.  Thanks again
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Lift and fill the pan with coke...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tmas
    tmas Posts: 35
    Why don't you want your drip pan directly on the plate setter?
    XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)
  • tmas said:
    Why don't you want your drip pan directly on the plate setter?
    When the drip pan is in contact with the platesetter, the high heat the platesetter is redirecting gets transferred to the drip pan burning the drippings and making some nasty smoke.  Nasty smoke transfers nasty flavor to your food.  With a spacer, the drippings don't burn.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I set mine on 3 pennies in each corner. Works great and it is reuseable.
  • For that kinda money you could get some copper tees and not have to count =))

Sorry, couldn't help it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I set mine on 3 pennies in each corner. Works great and it is reuseable.

And if one of your neighbors is a cheapskate and always looking for Egg handouts, you can "accidentally" drop one and watch him pick it up.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    BGEGP said:

I bought a 15" round cake pan, line it with foil and set it on some stainless steel nuts I had laying around.

+1. Works great.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • I have quite a few drip pans I've accumulated over the years. The stainless one from Ceramic Grill Store sees most of the action. A lot of it depends if you are going to use the drippings. I've bought quite a few cheap non stick rondelles over the years and removed the plastic handles. They are great for disposing of the crud and cleanup. I have a cast iron pan that I broke the handle off and milled down to about an inch and a half height. That is great for vegetables and potatoes. Rectangular stainless pans are great if you want to use the drippings.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bullibe
    Bullibe Posts: 132
    I use a 15" cake pan and place it on three ceramic briquettes that I had for a gasser.

Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama
  • Always keep a bunch of these around. Stack 2 or 3 under each corner of what I want to raise up. Works good on drip pans, Dutch oven, pots, etc
    Kind Regards...Papa C
    Peachtree City, GA
    2-XLBG's E...Webber 22" kettle, Retired Gas Grill
    Roll Tide!!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    What I've done the past couple times is put a ball of aluminum foil in the center of the plate setter and then foil over the plate setter.  The idea being domed up in the center, drippings should run off into the fire.