Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How low can you go?

I was wondering what people's experiences were cooking/smoking at the lowest temps they could possibly maintain on BGE. What was your lowest? How long? What'd you cook? I want to do an extra low and slow soon, but not sure what or how. I'm not trying to debate the NEED for lower temps here, just want to hear your trials and tribulations.
LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47

Comments

• I have never really had the need to go below 200 and have no trouble maintaining that for 20 hours.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    ive held 145 dome for several hours cooking jerkey, thats the lowest ive tried
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    We get that on a summer afternoon in Texas.  No lump required....
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    DonWW said:
    We get that on a summer afternoon in Texas.  No lump required....
    that was in the summer, come winter i could probably smoke ice cubes for bloody marys
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    130F for an hour, bumped it to 140 and it slowly crept up to 150 during the second hour, then 175. I was smoking some Texas Hot Links that I had added a cure to (do NOT smoking sausages at low temps without a cure, too long in the danger zone). I will say that I was using a pit controller and I lit a few large pieces of lump directly on the patio with a weed burner and tossed them into the Egg after they were going pretty good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    But I know some people have used a saudering (?) iron in a coffee can with some chips and lump in order to smoke cheese at even lower temps...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

I wonder about this too - for smoking bacon.  My plan is to try with apit controller and a small fire - maybe even a mini charcoal bin from extruded metal - I'm trying to get 140-170 temps for a long time and make smoke? 

Anyone do modified set-ups with the Amazin pellet smoker or similar?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2012
    Here's some info on going really low.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmokingcan/coldsmokingcan.htm
    what ive done that works is collect small pieces of lump from previous cooks and only put about an inch and a half on the lower grate, a littlle deeper in the center. you want the pieces small enough to block most of the air holes and the spent lump doesnt seem to burn as hot. no controler here, just vents. open the egg as little as possible, opening it creates a bigger fire thats harder to control
    fukahwee maine

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2012

Adding ice to the drip pan is another trick to get an under 200 temp in the Egg.

Routing the smoke thru another compartment is a great cold smoking method. Simply vent smoke thru another cold cooker, or even a card board box will work.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• 160 for 4 hours. I smoked some yellowfin tuna. I've always thought a soup can with holes in it and full of lump would last about 6 hrs and would not create much heat. Never tried it though.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    edited November 2012
    Soldering iron in a can method is easy and doesnt generate much heat at all.  You have to use a brand new iron but you can pick one up fairly cheaply.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Not that low but long duration around 12-14 hours at 180-200*F smoking jalapenos.  No controller but did require minor lower vent adjustments every few hours.  As Fishlessman said above, small fire (light bottom center) with lots of small pieces of lump and pecan wood chips throughout.  Yearly exercise-requires lots of adult beverages for the supervisory role :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012

160 for 7 hours for Jerky this past weekend.  Turned out great.
    Packerland, Wisconsin