Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Depot is back on for KCBS

Just learned that Restaurant Depot will accept KCBS membership for getting a card This was posted on the notifications on this forum

Comments

• I just got an email from a rep from Restaurant Depot confirming this. Great news and glad it worked out.
  • That's great news. Do you just show up in person with your KCBS card or do you have to sign up online for Restaurant Depot first?
  • All I did was show up with my KCBS card and they printed my RD card on the spot....no fees
  • So does anyone know of any other ways to get a RD card if you're not a restaurant owner or live in the Kansas City Area?
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    You don't need to live in the Kansas City area to get a KCBS membership :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2012
    Wait...so I can join KCBS (even though I live in New Orleans) and I can use that to join Restaurant Depot (they do have one here), even though Restaurant Depot says they don't sell to the public (just businesses)?
  • Also, if you are a business owner, or have a tax certificate, they will open an account for you, no charge. (at least in s florida)  I opened an account, and keep an extra card for the employees in my department.  I do not think it matters anymore to them if you are in the restaurant or not, you just need to have a business.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just called up our local store.  I asked if they'd let me look around to see what they had before I joined KCBS.  They won't let me, unless I'm with someone who does have a RD card.  But they said they do honor the KCBS cards, and they do have lots of food (which is mostly what I'm interested in). 

Does anyone have any information on what they carry, and if it's worth the $30/50 membership?  Do they have lump, per chance?  What kind of food/quality/price? 

I have to admit, groceries around here aren't nearly as good as the one's I've been at in Texas with some foods, like beef.  I can get just about anything by going to an upscale grocery, but then I'm paying outrageous prices, like $5/lb choice brisket, $8/lb tri-tip, etc.  Do they sell pork belly? 

I have a few connections....maybe I can wrangle a visit with one of them.
    edited November 2012
    Right now they have Royal Oak 17.63 lb bags on sale for $8.99.  Great deals on meat and seafood in my area.  Be prepared to buy things like chicken by the case......(40 lbs +/-)  For not having to pay for a membership, it's a great deal for me!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Holepuncher
    Holepuncher Posts: 388
    Thanks everyone. I just walked in and looked around, grabbed a bag of Royal Oak,at *.99 a bag, thought about getting several, got to the check out and got the news. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    Anyone know if the Restaurant Depot pass still works if you present your KCBS card.  I just joined KCBS and would like to take advantage of this.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Mud_Pig, Yes. Just go in and walk up to Customer Service.There is a link under "discounts" at the KCBS homepage with a coupon that you print out with directions for the CS rep at the depot.
  • I just called up our local store.  I asked if they'd let me look around to see what they had before I joined KCBS.  They won't let me, unless I'm with someone who does have a RD card.  But they said they do honor the KCBS cards, and they do have lots of food (which is mostly what I'm interested in). 

Does anyone have any information on what they carry, and if it's worth the $30/50 membership?  Do they have lump, per chance?  What kind of food/quality/price? 

I have to admit, groceries around here aren't nearly as good as the one's I've been at in Texas with some foods, like beef.  I can get just about anything by going to an upscale grocery, but then I'm paying outrageous prices, like $5/lb choice brisket, $8/lb tri-tip, etc.  Do they sell pork belly? 

I have a few connections....maybe I can wrangle a visit with one of them.
    Well worth membership.  Membership is free.  I joined through a non profit.  And yes, they do have lump.  Here in the STL area, they have Royal Oak in 17.5 lb bags for $10.00.  The meat is amazing, and inexpensive assuming you are looking for bulk.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Also, they have good produce, and any other restaurant items including equipment.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I was a KCBS member in 2010 and used to go to RD once.  I almost passed out from sheer joy.  They have insulated suits for walking into  the meat section -  whole goats,  leg of lamb $6/lb cheaper than HEB and more. I think I'll  renew my KCBS membership just so I can go back! 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.