Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beware of Fire Hazards

Options

Yesterday I dismantled my egg in prep for my new table.  After reading several posts here about the potential hazard I had been really curious as to what the wood beneath my egg would look like after 10+ years of use.  I had TWO 12" sq ceramic (or porcelain) tiles between the egg and the BGE cypress table.  The tile cracked very early on and has been cracked for probably ~9 1/2 years.  I would also suspect that some of the heat was transferred to the wood through the cracks as there was a direct route for the heat transfer.  Beware of the fire hazard folks.

Geaux Tigers!!  Maybe I am a bit biased, but LSU beat Bama at their own game but lost focus on that Bama drive.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
#1.jpg 552.2K
#2.jpg 597.4K

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You didn't have the little green feet (air gap) I suppose?

LSU should have won that game.  We beat them in just about every stat except rushing.  Two missed FGs, some questionable calls and failing to stop them on that last drive just did us in.  blah.
    Options

Correct...I did not have the feet.  My new table has a slab of 2cm granite beneath the egg.  I need to look up the heat capacity of granite vs the tile, but I am sure it is much higher.

Yep, tough to stomach that loss my friend.  Nick was beat and he knows it.  McCarron knew it last night hence the reason he was crying like a baby on the bench at the end of the game.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited November 2012
    Options

LSU should have won that game.  We beat them in just about every stat except rushing.  Two missed FGs, some questionable calls and failing to stop them on that last drive just did us in.  blah.
    LSU flat outplayed Bama. Like one guy said "I enjoyed that loss more than some of the wins", LOL. I think our team and QB is coming of age. Proud of them, epecially with being 8-10 starters short. I'll be home for the Ole Miss game, cant wait.
  • Buckdodger
    Options

Yesterday I dismantled my egg in prep for my new table.  After reading several posts here about the potential hazard I had been really curious as to what the wood beneath my egg would look like after 10+ years of use.  I had TWO 12" sq ceramic (or porcelain) tiles between the egg and the BGE cypress table.  The tile cracked very early on and has been cracked for probably ~9 1/2 years.  I would also suspect that some of the heat was transferred to the wood through the cracks as there was a direct route for the heat transfer.  Beware of the fire hazard folks.

Geaux Tigers!!  Maybe I am a bit biased, but LSU beat Bama at their own game but lost focus on that Bama drive.

Just replaced the middle three boards on my table. Went 5 yrs with only the green feet like the dealer set it up for me. Asked about a clean burn with that set up and was advised not to and to check my table. Had a hole burned through on the middle board. Thanks to the guy's on this forum I avoided a disaster.

Opelika, Alabama
  • RollTideRob
    Options

By questionable calls, Do you mean the offensive pass int?
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's always one or two of those, I shoulda said questionable coaching decisions.   I don't know what the mad hatter was thinking in the 4th quarter.

There's always one or two of those, I shoulda said questionable coaching decisions.   I don't know what the mad hatter was thinking in the 4th quarter.
    Yeah I think Les was to blame. LSU outplayed Bama  until that final drive but wouldn't have been in that situation if not for some "Questionable Coaching"
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I think LSU outplayed Bama - but - MadHatter coaching mistakes cost them the victory.  

Back to the topic, in the old days (pressed charcoal, many many years ago) - had cleaned out the grill the day after grilling.  Put the ashes in a paper grocery sack.  Sat the sack on the edge of the patio.   Just so happened, was close to the wood siding of the house.

We went out to dinner that night, but decided to come back home early.  Came into a house filled with smoke.   Caught the problem in time, no significant damage - but a real wake up to what smoldering ash can do....  

Cookin in Texas
  • RollTideRob
    Options

You're right. Fortunately, Les was the difference in the game. I don't think LSU could've played any better than they did. I also don't think Bama could've played any worse.
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL